Episode 22- Girl Meets Heartbreak

Lucas couldn't figure out what was wrong with Riley, she had been avoiding him since they dropped him off at his house. They still had the weekend before school started since they wanted some time to reboot before school started but she hadn't called him when she had gotten home, and when he went to her house her window was closed and the curtains were down. So he waited outside of her door, until Mr. Matthews let him in and he rushed towards Riley's room without saying hello to her parents.

"Riley please open up," he said as he knocked on the door. He automatically thought something horrible had happened before she got home, but he would have heard.

The door slowly opened revealing Riley in an oversized sweater and a pair of black tights, she looked fine but he could tell that she had been crying about something. It couldn't have been the trip because they were all happy when they had gotten back so he thought that maybe something else had happened.

"Are you okay?" he asked as he walked into the room.

"Lucas I'm fine," she said as if it were an automatic response. Something she was telling everyone and anyone who asked.

"Riley don't lie to me please."

She sighed before pulling away from the door and sitting at the bay window. The moment she sat down he knew that whatever was going to happen was important. There was a pile of open letters on the bench so when he got there he looked down to see that they were mostly letters from schools.

"Did you not get into the school you wanted to go to?" he asked hoping that whatever the problem was it wasn't as terrible as what he thought it could be.

"I got into all of them, including NYU, I only applied because I wanted to know that maybe I could go if I wanted to, I also got into several out of state schools, but I won't leave Maya behind, which is probably stupid when you think about it because I could go anywhere."

"Is that why you're sad?"

"Lucas," she said looking at him. "I want you to follow your dream."

"I am Riley, no matter where I go I can follow my dream and do everything I want to do."

"No," she sighed before looking directly at him. "I don't want you to give up your first choice school for me, I want you to go to Texas A&M."

He didn't know what to say, he hadn't told anyone but his parents, his grandfather and Zay about getting accepted, because even though he would be considered a legacy for going to the same school as his parents, he didn't know if it was the right place to go to. He didn't want to lose what he had.

"Riley," he said taking her hand as he kneeled down in front of her. "How do you know I got in?"

"I overheard you and your grandfather talking about it, and I don't want to be the reason you give it up."

"But it's okay for you to give up NYU for Maya?"

"There's a difference, I promised Maya I wouldn't leave her behind."

"Riley I'm not leaving you behind, it's stupid to think that I would even consider it."

"Then why did you apply Lucas? Why did you take the risk if you didn't want to go?" she said her voice rising as she talked to him. "You want to go and I know, you know it, but you're going to give it all up for what your high school sweetheart? You don't know where we'll be in the next five years."

He sighed and looked up at her, he could feel the sting in his eyes, "You once told me that you had hope for us Riley, you knew that somewhere deep down inside of you that there was something there to hope for, so what now you're going to throw it away."