Episode 15 - Girl Meets a Single Moment Pt.2

Lucas had been pacing back and forth for over an hour, it was already dark outside and the snow was falling harder than it was when they had walked into the resort. He kept checking his phone hoping that Riley would call him. He dialed her number for what felt like the millionth time but the phone kept ringing over and over.

"Come on Riley," he said quietly. "Please pick up the phone."

There was silence on the other side of the line, and he thought that the voicemail would pick up but then he heard her breathing.

"Lucas," she whispered to him. "It's cold, and I can't move."

"Riley," he almost shouted. "Where are you?"

"I don't know I hurt my head," she said while everyone surrounded him. Her parents looked hopeful, while everyone else had worried looks in their eyes.

"Don't worry, someone will find you," he said but his heart felt like it was breaking.

"Lucas, I love you," she said before the line cut off.

"Riley," he yelled at his phone. "No... no... please no," he called again and again but the line was dead. He threw his phone across the room and walked outside grabbing his coat as he went only to started pacing once he got outside. He couldn't even look anyone in the eye, but he could feel the anxiety pulling at his heart.

"They're going to find her," Zay said walking out into the cold, handing him his scarf, hat and gloves. "There's no point in you suffering like this."

"Zay I was going to ask Riley stay with me even after we get into college, it wasn't a marriage proposal, but more of a promise to keep taking everything one day at a time, I wanted us to take this huge leap together because she's the only one who has ever really loved me like this, she's given me so much but... also because without her I don't know where I would be."

"That's something huge," Zay said looking Lucas in the eye. "Lucas I know you love her, and to Riley promises are everything but you'll get that chance don't worry."

"I know but I wanted to give her the option, I want it to be her choice no matter what," he said before kneeling on the ground. "Zay it hurts just to think that she's out there by herself."

"Well you know Riley, in this type of place she wouldn't pass up the opportunity to make a snowman, look at the trees, find somewhere to skate..." Lucas looked up at Zay as if he had given him the answer to everything. "What, Lucas what are you thinking? You're scaring me man."

"I'm going to look for her, please just give me a ten-minute head start," Lucas said.

"You're crazy," Zay said looking at him. "You can't go out in this, I can't explain that to your parents, to her parents, everyone here cares about you and if you get hurt they'll be angry at me for letting you go."

"Please Zay... just please."

"Fine, I'll wait out here for five minutes before going inside, but you better come back alive or I'm going to find a way to bring you back just to kick your freaking behind."

Lucas nodded and grabbed Zay's hat and scarf before taking off into the night, the snow was heavy but for some reason he knew where Riley had headed off towards so there was a chance that he could find her. He knew five minutes had passed when his phone started going off, everyone was calling him and most likely calling him an idiot but he had to find her.

Love makes people do crazy things, Riley had told him when she was skating around the rink in central park a week before her birthday. She had wanted to learn to spin around with him and they had kept falling but she had wanted to feel his hands and they circled around each other. Their faces had been frozen because of the cold air, but their hands were warm, he remembered kissing her lips, they had felt like ice but it had been one of the best moments they had had since they started dating. Two years into this relationship and he knew without a shadow of a doubt that his life would never be the same if he let her go.