Chapter 7: Spirit Portal

My eyes flutter open due to movement on the other side of the bed, I roll over and see Mako sitting on the side of the bed. I place my hand on his lower back, he jumps startled, he turns around with a smirk on his face. "Good morning,"

He goes into kiss me but he yawns as he is about to, I cringe and lean away. "Thanks for that, I laugh, scrunching my nose displeased. He chuckles and kisses me, "You need to get ready for work?"

"Yeah, sorry but you can stay here longer if you want." He mutters leaning away, I shake my head and smile, "Do you have work as well?"

"No but I need to get back to the Island, I'm expecting a letter from my brother." I say, he nods and stands up. I get up and grab my clothes, Mako walks out of the room so I can quickly get changed. "Mako, what are your thoughts on the spirit portal?"

"I think its cool, why?" He asks coming back in, I turn my back to him and sit on the bed now dressed.

"Last night, I heard one of the spirits mention that Korra should close the portal," I say, it goes quiet in the room and Mako sighs. "I kind of agree with it. It causing so much trouble maybe she should close it to keep the city and the Spirit World safe."

"Well, it's not your choice is it?" Mako barks, I look around at him surprised. He stands looking me obviously annoyed with my comment.

"I know, I just..." I say trying to make him understand where I'm coming from. He grabs his jacket and slips it on putting the buttons in harshly.

"It is Korra's choice if she is going to shut it or not, she believes it is doing the city good so I will stick with that." He states, I try to defend myself again but he flashes me a glare at me. "Just worry about the fire nation, we will deal with our city."

"I'm just trying to help Mako," I say now annoyed at him, I stand up and slip my boots on. He ignores me and grabs his shoes out of his cupboard, "Well if you want me to worry about the fire nation so much, I should go back."

"Whatever." He says, I roll my eyes and walk out of the room. My feet stomping, Bolin walks out of his room yawning.

"Morning Ri," He says waving at me, I toss him a quick smile then walk out the front door. I slam in and run down the stairs wanting to get away from here, I huff.

"What a thick head, I just told him what I thought." I walk out into the streets, a black and white creature flies through the air, Tuila, I whistle loudly catching her attention. A few people look at me as she dives down, she lowers her head allowing me to swing onto it. She shoots off into the air and head towards the Island, a tear rolls down my cheeks. "What an asshole."

Tuila lands, I'm already swamped by Meelo who waves around a letter. "Is that from my brother?" I ask sliding off, he nods and hands it to me. He runs over to Tuila and climbs on top of her, I watch a amused.

I break open the letter and read it,

To Rina, The Princess of the Fire Nation

Rina, I have just arrived back in the Fire Nation and I request your presence at court immediately. Sorry about the short notice but I only have a limited time away.

From Iroh II, The Crowned Prince of the Fire Nation and General of the United Forces.

My stomach drops and I get really nervous, he said three months and it's only been one. Meelo looks over at me, "Whats wrong Ri?"

"I have to go home," I say solemnly.

-

-

I tie my bag onto Tuila and she glares at me, she doesn't like being used to haul cargo except for me. I comb my fingers through her hair, Tenzin, Pema and the other airbenders stand in front of me, sending me off.

I walk over and hug Tenzin, "Thank you for letting me stay at the temple, hopefully I will be able to return soon."

"It would be a pleasure to host you again," He states, I nod in thank you and look at the others. Korra, Asmai, Bolin or Mako don't know I have to leave, it's only been 20 minutes since I got the letter. Anyone who was on the island knows but nobody else, they were nice enough to come out and say goodbye to me.

I felt really guilty about leaving Mako just after having the argument but my brother needs me at the moment. "Thank you," I say in general to the others, they all bow their heads in respect. I bow back, "Well I must leave now."

"Safe travels," Pema says, she hands me a box of dumplings. I thank her with a warm smile, yes she has the best dumplings.

Tuila lowers her head and I swing on, I give one last wave and start traveling back to the Fire Nation. She flies but slower than normal, on the ground I notice a grey person running towards the others. I recognize the black spiky hair, I sigh and lay my head down on Tuila's fur. "It's too late to turn back."

-

-
After a day of flying, we land in the gardens of the fortress which my family and I live in. Tuila looks around happily at the sight of our home, a servant comes out greeting me. "Princess Rina, it is pleasure to see you finally return. Would you like me to get your bag for you?"

"Yes, please can you please inform me where my brother is?" I ask as he walks over to Tuila carefully.

"Yes, he is in the War room with your mother, they are waiting for you." I nod and begin walking towards the room, outside of the large doors waits all of the lords. My mother must of kicked them out, they bow as I pass. I stop in front of the doors, two guards push it open allowing me to enter.

"Princess Rina," They announce, I walk in. My mother sits on the throne while my brother sits at the table other than them the room is empty.

"Hello, Mum, Iroh." I greet bowing my head. She gestures for me to sit down so we can start the meeting which I do.

"Now please, Iroh explain to me why you have called this private meeting." She says, I look over at Iroh, he clears his throat nervous.

"Mother, I wish to abdicate my right to the throne," He states, it goes quiet for a moment. He looks up at mother like she is going to attack him.

"Why do you wish to take this action?" She asks completely calm, I watch her carefully.

"I wish to continue in the forces as long as I can, you must also understand that I do not wish to become Fire Lord." He admits, I give him a small smile of comfort to him.

"Then I accept your request." She states a pokerface still on. "But now you must annouce it to the lords and then in front of most of the kingdom. Your sister will become the Crowned Princess and you will lost your title as Crowned Prince."

"I understand."

"Please call the lords back into the war room," She commands to the guards, the doors are opened and the lords file into the room.