Chapter 14: Jasmine Tea

Shuidu Island was a beautiful place that held onto the old culture of the fire nation. There was an old Fire Sage temple that was used as a market, I have always loved coming here but the visits were rare. My Grandmother refused to come here but my Grandfather thought it was a priority to keep in contact with the family. He had lost his mother at a young age which was a catalyst for his dark era but after becoming the Firelord, he was able to local her and reunited with her. Though my older great-aunt has been seen as a devil by my grandmother, they shared a respectable relationship for my grandfather's sake. 

Tuila sniffs around at the children who play with her fur and whiskers, though this village held onto the history of the fire nation the children weren't great listeners. Instead of calling her a dragon, they seem to think she a goatsnake. I walk through the village and people bow to me as I pass, I reach a small isolated house that had perfectly maintained garden and solid colours. I knock on the door and it opens, "Rina, come in." 

I enter the home and everything was in its place as everything has been since she moved to this island. My grandfather and those around him had told me growing up that losing their mother and the constant instability of her life drove her mad. Since I have known her, she has been a prickly but friendly woman. "Aunty Azula, it is good to see you." 

"Yes, it is. You have not visited in a year, I thought you have forgotten about me." She says bringing out a teapot and some cups. Her hair was white now and she had a hunch in her back. She looked very different from the pictures of her in her younger years. "I thought that was impossible." 

"I'm sorry, I've been away in Republic city and then Ember Island," I say, she pours the tea. The aroma of Jasmine tea fills the room, I take a sip as she sits down across from me. Her naturally beady eyes watched me, she put her cup down. The Jasmine Tea had a slightly bitter taste compared to the one my Grandfather makes. 

"I heard you got attacked while being crowed," She says taking another sip. She smiles and closes her eyes, "Takes me back to the good old days." 

"Lucky you're too old otherwise I would have been killed," I state, she looks up at me and smirks. She looked pleased with my statement, we continue drinking tea as we chat. I have admired my Aunt Azula ever since I was a young girl, though I understood the horrors she committed I saw I a woman full of determination. Every time I came here with my grandfather I would always show her how powerful I had become and the blue flames reflected that. They represented sheer power and Azula could produce the same type. This connected us on another level. The sun startled to set over the ocean and I decided to leave. "I will see you again soon and I'll bring you some plants from the gardens."

"Bring some fast-growing ones. These ones are too slow and offer no challenge." She says setting one of the small bushes on fire, I nod and hug her. She pats my back awkwardly, "The Sozin Fires would need more support within the palace. If you maid happens to be a sympathizer there is probably a more powerful puppeteer." 

"I'll heed your words, Azula."I say as I turn and return to the main village. 

Upon my return to the Palace, the guards came to greet me with a pager in tow. I slide off Tuila who waits protectively behind me, the pager bows. "Princess Rina, you have been summoned to the War Room." 

"At this hour? It is almost midnight." I question. He nods and I roll my eyes. I follow behind him as the guards surround me, I didn't like the feeling I was getting. I enter the War Room and all the lords were in attendance, the Fortzi brothers whispered between each other. I watched them carefully as I entered the room, my mother sat in her position. "What is the reason for this meeting?"

"We have found the Sozin Fire scum amongst your household," The elder Fortzi Lord stated, I looked at him wide-eyed. He turned to the doors and two guards pulled in Zanni, I took a step back. "She was found sneaking out of the Palace and had a Sozin Fire pin on her person."

"A pin, That is your evidence?" I question. I look at Zanni, she looks at me with pleading eyes as tears roll down her cheeks. I walk towards her and she pulls at the guards, they release her and she falls to her knees in front of me. 

"I promise I have no association with the Sozin Fire's other than my relation to my grandfather, I never met him." She begs, everyone turns to the Fortzi brothers as they speak up. The elder points at her while the other comes closer, I stand protectively in front of her. 

"Then what is your excuse to leaving the grounds and having that pin in your possession?" He questions her, she shakes her head and I step closer to him. He eyes me as I cross my arms, my mouth was turned up in a snarl. 

"She has a sickly father and a younger sister that she tends to on her days off. I believe today, as it is past midnight and tomorrow are her days off." I state, he huffs and walks back to his seat. The lords start arguing as my mother sits quietly watching them, she keeps glancing at me as I stand my ground in front of my friend. "Quiet!" I demand, the lords return to silence and all eyes turn to me. "To keep peace in this room, Zanni will be put in a cell but I believe she is innocent and I will prove it. Now, it is time you return to your families and sleep instead of falsely accusing a young girl."

The lords reluctantly leave the room and Zanni is taken by the guards who brought her into the room. I watch her and she smiles at me relieved. My mother walks down to me and puts her hand on my shoulder, "What you did was smart but how are you to prove she is innocent?"

"They have arrested a Sozin Fire in Republic city, I will go there and question him myself." She nods and gives me a hug. My mother was never the affectionate type as she took after my Grandfather while many say I am like my Grandmother. She releases me and leaves, I look around the huge empty room. I stare at the Firelord's seat and slowly walk up to it. I sit down with my legs cross and stare down the table. It felt right for me to be sitting here but knowing that Firelord Sozin, Azulon and Ozai had sat here before made my stomach churn. They brought so much darkness and pain to all nations but my grandfather brought back peace with the help of Avatar Aang. My mother carried his legacy on when she took on the throne and when the time comes, I will be gifted their legacy. I was terrified for that day.