Chapter 10: Love Rival

It's been a week since my coronation and the Sozin Fire's revival. The royal family has been on lockdown on Ember Island since. It's starting to drive me mad. Wu and Mako decided to stay with me until I can get out, I think Wu is trying to pay Mako back using me.

I run down the hallway squealing joy, I felt like a kid once again. Mako ran after me, I stop at my bedroom door and he comes up to me. He kisses my lips then starts kissing my neck, the red robes of a lord come into view. I push Mako away and he straights his clothing, my grandfather walks past eyeing us suspiciously. I smile at him, he rounds the corner. I start to kiss Mako again, "Not in the hallway you too." Grandpa shouts back at us, my eyes widen and I burst out laughing. Mako joins me, I open the door and we slide into the room.

About an hour later, there was knock on my door. I open my eyes and look beside me, Mako slept peacefully. I smile and get up, I put my robes on and open the door up. I lean across the door so they couldn't see Mako. My eyes widen in shock, "Tomiichi."

"Hey Ri, how are you?!" The boy asks, he was so much older now. Last time I saw him he was on his way to the earth kingdom for three years. That was only a year and a half ago. I throw my arms around him, he hugs me back.

"I'm great thank you, except for the assassination attempt but..." I state, he looks at me concerned. He goes to step into my room but I block him. Him and I use to be a thing, we only broke up cause he was going overseas. I don't think he would like Mako naked in my bed.

"Sorry, you can't come in. It's not proper for a lady of my stature." I state, he smirks and look me up and down. He leans in to kiss me, I slap him away. "Tomi, You can't do that," I growl, he gives me a challenging look.

"You didn't seem to mind me doing that before," He says, he tries to kiss me again. I push him away and he glares at me, I suddenly feel a hand go to my waist. I look over my shoulder, Mako moves in front of me. Fortunately with pants on, "Oh."

"Is there a problem?" Mako asks, his voice laced with annoyance. Tomiichi looks at me and shakes his head. He walks away silently and defeated, but I have never seen Tomi go down without a fight. "Who was that?"

"My ex, he moved away a year and a half ago. I can't believe he came back." I say wrapping my arms around Mako, I lean my head against his chest. I sigh loudly and he rubs my back softly.

"Do you still have feelings for him?" He asks getting insecure, I shake my head.

"No, but he obviously has feelings for me still," I say, he looks at me with concern. He leans down and kisses my forehead, he lets go and grabs his shirt. "Where are you going?"

"Wu needs me, sorry, I'll see you at dinner." He says, he kisses me again then leaves the room. I stare at the door after him.

"Love you," I mutter, I sigh and sit back on my bed.

Dinner was awkward. Mum had invited Tomiichi to dinner, as she wasn't aware of the strain between us at the moment. I made sure to sit next to Mako, Tomiichi sat across from and next to him was grandpa and grandma. They instantly felt the tension.

"So Tomi, why have you returned to the Fire Kingdom so soon?" Mum asks, he looks at her a sweet smile on his face. He glances at me, my body turns ridged please say he didn't come back for me.

"I was missing my family too much, I was just distributing spices throughout the earth kingdom them for father. He thought it would be a great idea for me to know what our workers do." He says, she smiles and nods happily with his answer. "I'm having a bit of break, plus Dad wants me to marry soon. A fire nation girl of course."

"I remember when your father and I were discussing a future between you and Rina. Would have been such a successful marriage." She says longingly, Mako grabs my hand under the table. Grandma clears her throat.

"Arranged marriages aren't needed anymore. The throne doesn't need money." She states, Mum glares at her. They stare at each other intensely.

"No instead, they let commoners into the family now," Tomiichi says, I stand up and glare at him. He looks at me happily, he got under my skin.

"You were a commoner once too, Tomiichi. It was thanks to the royal family that you can even sell spices overseas. I love Mako and my family has blessed us. That is all I need." I state, he watches me carefully. I pull Mako up "We excuse ourselves."

"Rina." My mother protests, I ignore her and drag him out down the path and onto the beach. I groan and look up at the sky. I get an idea suddenly.

"Let's get out," I say, he looks at me unsure. I give him puppy eyes, he continues to not want too. "We can go on Tuila, just fly over the city. Then maybe go into the town so I can get a new dress."

He finally gives in, I smile with joy. Finally. All I wanted to do was leave the castle just for a couple of minutes. I whistle and loud roar sounds, Tuila's heavy footsteps walk towards us. I stare her embarrassed. "You're a dragon, you don't have to and you look weird when you do."

She growls in annoyance, I rub her back affectionately. I climb up and Mako follows me, she shoots into the air. The town below shines with fire torches, I see some people running probably the guards that have spotted us leaving. Oh well.