Chapter 17: Shu Jing Academy

I twirl the dagger around in my hand, I have always admired the art of knife throwing. My grandparent's Goodfriend, Mai taught me when I was younger. My grandma said she was a master and took down multiple guards in a fire nation prison just with her hidden knives. I was lucky growing up having such strong female role models in my life. When Mako told me about his and Bolin's childhood, I couldn't believe what they had gone through. As I looked upon the child in front of me, I can only imagine the privileged life they have had. 

It was a tradition for a royal member of the family to attend the annual graduation of Shu Jing Academy students, many join the United Forces army or the Royal guard. Shu Jing was a quiet peaceful town before Avatar Aang and his friends passed through but since the defeat of Firelord Ozai, it has been the home to the most respected combat academy in the Fire Nation. Sokka trained under Master Piandao, a man who looks for passion and humility instead of wealth and talent. The qualities that Master Piandao respected were cemented as two of the four mottos of the school but since then his beliefs have been forgotten. 

"Princess Rina, it is time for the ceremony." A guard says walking into the small gazebo, though I been allowed from the main island, I am still under strict guard. My mother's orders. I slip the knife back into the spot I found it, a small crack into the wood bannister. One of the students must have stashed it in there. I follow the guard through the grounds around the mansion, it had beautiful gardens that put the palace's to shame and fountains that never ended. We reached a grassy area where twenty students of all ages kneeled on the neat grass. In front of each of them laid a sheathed sword, I stepped onto the stage and took a seat next to the Master, Po Chi. A guard positioned themselves behind my seat, I closed my eyes and let out a quiet sigh. Another woman who I had not met before stepped in front of the podium. Her complexion was the complete opposite of mine, her blonde hair was tightly curled and framed her round face which held her bright blue eyes. 

"Ladies and gentleman, welcome to your graduation. Master Po Chi and I have watched you become great skilled soldiers who will join the organisations that protect the harmony and traditions of the world. I thank, Crowned Princess Rina for coming to such an event even after the attempt on her life at her own coronation. The Royal family continue to lead the Fire Nation into the future. My family has watched them for years and since Firelord Zuko, they have seen the changes in our traditions and the world. To do so they need, warriors like you to protect them when they are trying to protect the world. Today the Princess is here to thank and take a look at the next generation of protection..." 

The ceremony lasts for an hour as the graduates display their skills and accept the blessing from their Master before leaving the gates. I thankfully was not asked to talk but merely to watch and observe. As the staff start to pack away the seats, I walk to the blonde woman who was chatting with Po Chi. The Master has always been a kind and funny man but when he was talking to this woman, his demeanour changed. "Princess Rina, I don't believe we have been formally introduced, I am Tai Hei. The United Forces training operator, I'm here to make sure that all students graduate at an appropriate level rather than how much money their parents have." 

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Miss Hei, it seems that we have a few ideas in common. I do have to leave as I am expecting a visitor at the palace but please come visit us at the palace, I'm sure Firelord Izumi would love to hear about your work." I state. A bright smile comes onto her face and she bows respectfully. "Thank you for inviting us for another year and I look forward to our next encounter."

The trip home was long and quiet thanks to my mother's insistence of taking a ship instead of Tuila. As the harbour came into view, I took notice of the Republic City ship that was docked. My heart swelled with happiness as I rushed to the front of the ship, I almost fell overboard as I gripped the bow. As the dock came into reach, I leap off the boat and onto the wharf. I rushed through the crowd and noticed the distinctively shaped eyebrows of my boyfriend. I stopped and slowly watched up to him, he glanced up at the palace with awe. Every time I saw the palace after a long journey, it felt like it was the first time. a building that held the history of all of the fire nation and the family that kept it alive. "Detective Mako, what an honour it is to have you join the Fire Nation police force." 

He turns to me and his eyes light up, he goes to embrace me but I hold my hand up with a sad smile. "Wait until we are in the castle or my guards might attack you," He glances at the two guards that were panting loudly as they reached me, they look at Mako suspiciously. The automobile waits for us at the start of the road to the palace, they put Mako's stuff in back and we climbed in. I turn to him and take his hand smiling up at him, he rubs his thumb against my palm. "I missed you so much,"

"I missed you too, I'm so sorry it took me so long to come here." He said quietly. I rested my head against his shoulder as the driver took us along the winding roads. Soon the gates came into sight and a line of guards stood in wait. We came to a stop and Mako rushed around to my side to open the door, the valet stood behind him disgruntled. I thank them both and the guards start taking his bags to our room. Much to my mother's disapproval, I have allowed Mako to move into my room. She thought it was a bad idea but I did point out that my grandparents had slept in the same room before marriage and that having a police officer sleeping beside me would be safer. "I have a gift for you from Wu, who is still insisting on a visit." 

He hands me a small box with a ribbon tied around it, I carefully open it expecting a Earth Kingdom styled brooch but a small stone carving of a Badgermole. I smile and pick it up in my hand, "It's adorable, I'll have to write him a thank you letter." 

"He was going to get you a brooch but he decided on this, he got it while we were in Omashu." He explains as I chuckle. Since we were children, Wu had gotten me small gifts probably to win my affection, majority of them being brooches they haven't worn except to Earth Kingdom events. "He met this girl, Lara in Omushu. He seems quite smitten with her, he even hired her so she could travel with us." 

"It does surprise me after his continuous flirting with me, the Avatar and probably countless other's before his time in Republic City." I laugh, Mako muzzles his nose into my hair and plants a kiss on my head as he leads me into the castle.