Chapter 11: A Keeper

The crowd swarms around us, the red of the fire nation overwhelming but comfortable. I haven't been to Walawani in years, my grandmother always walked me through the town. We were always recognised then, my Grandma is highly respected in the Firenation especially in older towns. Her values were relatable.

When I spotted the town, the sense of nostalgia I longed for had consumed me. For me to feel okay at this moment I need to return here, Tulia was happy to have us off her back, she always had more freedom in the fire nation and didn't want to waste a moment of it. 

Tonight it was full of life, children ran through the drapes of cloth. The elder women told them off while men laughed which would get them a smack. I clutched Mako's hand pulling him from store to store. Fresh rice pudding balls were everywhere, it took Mako so much strength to hold me back from eating them all.

I handed the storekeeper a coin and they gave me two. I stuffed one into my mouth, I was about to eat the other one but Mako stared at it. I reluctantly handed the yummy rice ball to him. The things you give up for love. He smiled and took it from my hand, I watched as he slowly ate it savoring the taste. I felt nothing but regret in handing him that rice ball. 

The markets slowly closed down, their lanterns being extinguished one by one. Families wandered home, I brought Mako to a bench overlooking the Walawani River. The moon shone across it beautifully and small fish kissed the surface of the water. Two tiger monkeys jumped across boats causing elderly fishermen to shout at them. I leaned my head against Mako's shoulder, his hair smelt of sandalwood. He places his arm around my shoulders and places his chin upon my head. "Ember Island is very pretty, I wish I could have visited here when I younger." 

"You would have loved it, I would love to come every summer with my kids. I have such fond memories here, my grandparents, friends, Tomiichi." I drone on, I feel Mako stiffen at his name. "I never explain my past with him." 

"Ri, you don't have to. I trust that it is the past." He whispers, I shake my head and look up at him. He sighs and turns back to the water, "But if you want to, please tell me." 

"Tomiichi, was my boyfriend. We have known each other since we were very young and we were intimate when he moved away, I realised how restricted I was because of my relationship with him. I vowed to myself to not resume it if he returned." I place my hand on his cheek and force him to look at me, I slowly place kisses around his face. His eyes close as our breaths mix into one steady rhythm. "I'm so glad, I went with Korra that day. You bring me such joy Mako." 

"I love you, Ri, with my all heart. I have never felt such a bond with someone before, not one that makes me feel as though I have known you my whole life." He kisses me, his hand slips onto my back and we lay down against the wooden bench. I wrap my arms around his neck and I get the sense we were being watched. I open my eyes and notice my Grandma standing over us, an annoyed look on her face. I shoot away from Mako and he looks at me startled before slowly following my gaze. "Lady Sachi, fancy seeing you here." 

"Shut it, police boy, you both are going to be murdered if your mother finds out about you leaving." She watches over and sits right in between us, I share a look with my boyfriend. "Oh calm down both of you, I would never tell Izumi. She would have my head as well." 

"Thank you, Grandma," I say hugging her. She pats my pat softly and paces her face in my hair. 

"I understand that you needed some fresh air, though it didn't look like you were getting much of it."  She says, glancing at Mako. He blushes and leans back against the bench. "You should have seen your grandfather's face when he spotted you two. Eating each other," 

"Grandpa is here?" I ask shocked, she nods and looks over at another bench positioned under an apple tree. Grandfather sits under it, pouting at that river his arms crossed against his chest. He looks over at us, even in the dark you could see the glare he was giving Mako. "Maybe you should talk to him Mako, man to man." 

"I don't think I'll be a man after the chat." He mumbles reluctantly getting up and shuffling over to the previous Firelord. My grandma and I watch as the two stiff men greet each other, we both giggle at them. 

"I like Mako, he is a very lovely young man. He's a keeper Ri." She says smiling, I blush and tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. She grasps my chin and turns my face towards her, "What Tomichii was saying at Dinner was inappropriate. My marriage wasn't arranged, nor was your mother's. There is no reason, a so-called commoner cannot be married into the Royal Family." 

"I love him, I can see a future with him. Though we both have personal and societal struggles ahead, I wish to marry him if he would take me." She smiles and kisses my hair. We look over at the men, their laughter fills the air. Both men's postures were the complete opposite moments before. "I think Grandpa likes him." 

"That's rare. Zuko never likes anyone before trying to kill them first." She says, I let out a snort and she laughs at me. We stand up and walks towards them, they quiet down and watch us. "Boys, you seem to be getting along." 

"Ri, don't stuff this up. He is a keeper." Grandpa laughs before taking his wife's arm and wandering with her down the street. I stare at Mako wide-eyed, he shrugs and takes my hand as we follow the elderly couple toward's the beach house.  

The house was quiet when we returned, the corridor lights were on but the majority of the bedrooms were closed. I watched my grandparents kiss in the dark beforth entering their bedroom, I smile at the moment. I strived to have the same relationship as them. I turned to Mako who was staring at me, I lead him to my bedroom. A rose sat on my bed, I look at Mako. "Did you get me a rose?"

"No Ri, I didn't," He says, he walks over to it and picks it up. A card was tied to it. I snatch the card and open it. I read it frowning, a little flame comes out of my finger and I set in on fire. It burns away leaving only ash on the ground. "Ri, was it Tomiichi?" I nod and walk up to Mako, I take the rose. I twist it in my fingers before wandering to the window and throwing it out of it into the cold humid air. "I swear if he gives you any more trouble I will have a word with him."

"Leave him be, he is nothing to me now," I say, I open my cupboard and pull out my nightgown. I strip down and pull the gown over me. Make strips to his pants and pulls the sheets back on the bed. I follow his lead and climb into bed. He wiggles towards me and wraps his arms around me pulling me closer to his chest. I start at his skin watching his breath slow down as he drifts into sleep. I sigh and kiss his cheek as I close my eyes thinking of the Tomiichi and our past.