Chapter 16: Uproar

I push open the doors to the War Room, everyone's eyes including my mother's turn to me as guards file into the room. It has been a week since I discovered Tomiichi in a Republic City cell and I was correct, I threatened him with the traditional punishments for treason and he quickly told me the names of the lords who had been working with the Sozin Fires. "Rina, what is the meaning of this interruption?"

"I'm sorry Mother for interrupting but the prisoner has spoken and has named Lord Tojem Frotzi and Lord Imain Frotzi as the Sozin Fire sympathisers," I state, the two lords and my mother stand up abruptly as they argue their case to the Firelord. I watch satisfied, they were so persistent with blaming Zanni that they forgot that everyone including Lords were under investigation. Both Lords had made trips back and forth from the Earth Kingdom to the are where Tomichii had been sent. "Arrest them and release my handmaid, Zanni."

The guards walked towards the lords who begged my Mother for forgiveness stating they were doing what was best for their nation. My Mother watched them with an expressionless face as they were dragged out of the War room. When the doors closed chatter built between the other lords their voices angry, my mother looked at me and then turns to the lords. "I believe it is time for this meeting to conclude, we will resume tomorrow."

They nodded, picked up their papers and left the room bowing to me as they passed. My mother walked down the stairs and came to me, we embraced and she kissed me cheek. She pulled away but her arms still held onto my shoulder, "I'm proud of you. Your life was in danger yet you continued to put yourself out there to show them you were not afraid but just because we have removed them doesn't mean this is over."

"I know, I'll keep my guard up and we should do a full reevaluation of all guards and workers within the castle. I'm sure the Frotzi brothers were able to convince and bribe some into submission." I state, she nods and one of the lords taps on the doors. She signals for him to come in and he does so, it was Lord Ra. He was a trusted family friend, Iroh grew up with his children and was engaged to his youngest daughter.

"I would be honoured to conduct the assessment of the staff and guards. I'll return with a list of suggested removals and you can do with them what you wish." He says, my mother nods and smiles at him. He bows and leaves the room. I leave my mother and return to my room, my head full of thoughts.

That was my first arrest within the Fire Nation, the Firelord can arrest but since my mother came into power. There has been a fully established independent police force within the fire nation like Republic City's but when a crime is committed against the Royal family, it is their choice on how to deal with it. In the past, the criminals were executed for this treason but due to the crime being committed against me, it was my choice what will happen to the Lords. Lucky for them, I'm not the killing type.

I turn my door as someone knocks on it, I tell them to come in and a pager walks in with a letter. I thank them and they leave the room. I carefully open the letter,

To Rina

I'm sorry I haven't written to you in a while but Wu has been busy with back-to-back meetings for the past few weeks. He is doing really well establishing the states but he constantly talks about you coming to visit but I think it's his way of showing worry.

I have good news, next week is my last week as Wu's bodyguard, I'll return to Republic City before transferring to the Captial Island's Police Department. They had a detective position open up and Lin put a good word in so they accepted my application. I get to come be with you and support you through this stressful time. So, continue learning about how to be an awesome Firelord and before you know it, I'll be by your side. 

I love you and be safe, Rina.

Love, Mako           

& Wu (Please come visit soon still!)

I smile and place the letter on my desk. I can't believe that he is moving his life to come be with me, I fall on top of my bed and bury my face in the sheets as my smile grows larger. I've always envied normal couples. When I was with Tomiichi, I was constantly told by my mother that my relationship with him needed to reflect my relationship with the Fire Nation. I needed to be dedicated and have stability, every relationship I enter needed to have the possibility of marriage. I know Mako is the one I want to marry. My Grandma told me the story of when she was reunited with Grandpa in Ba Sing Se, just speaking to him made fireworks explode in her chest and that's how she knew that one day they would be together. Mako does the complete opposite to me. When I with him, my body and mind slow down allowing me to live in that moment instead of constantly planning ahead. 

I walk through the gardens a large smile on my face, I couldn't stop thinking about Mako. He would be here so much sooner than I thought, it's quite rare that a detective position open in the Fire Nation Police Force. I turn as a figure runs towards me, my smile brightens as I recognise my maid. "Rina, I thought I would find you here."

"Zanni, It's so good to see you. I can't believe that they chose to blame you," I wrap my arms around her and she tightens her grip on me. Zanni has been my good friend for many years but it was uncommon that we could show physical affection due to the informality, which could be perceived in the wrong light. "I couldn't let you suffer for their wrongdoings." 

"And I thank you for that, I was so scared." She says pulling away, tears were flooding in her eyes as she fell back onto me crying. I rub her back comfortingly as she lets out her feelings, Zanni is a brave girl who learnt to fight just to protect me. She was a non-bender but proved to everyone that she was just as skilled as everyone else. I trusted her with my life which she has earned earnestly. "You know I would never betray you, right?"

"Of course."