Chapter 15: Republic City

I comb my fingers through Tuila's fur, she yawns and looks at me grumpily. She was annoyed that we were returning to Republic City because she does not have as much freedom as she does in the Fire Nation. I strap my bag onto her bag and she blows hot air at me, I jump back and look at her annoyed. "Don't you dare, we are doing this to protect me and save Zanni." 

I climb onto her back and she takes off into the air. I lay my head against her back as the wind whips around us, I was sixteen when I went to the Sun temple and I returned home on her back. We have been partners for six years and though she is moody, I trust her with my life. The journey to Republic city takes a few hours and I land at Airtemple Island in the early afternoon. I'm greeted by three small airbenders hugging me, "Hello kids, how have you been?"

"We've been great, we didn't get to see you after the attack. Dad said you were safe but we were so worried." I kneel in front of them and brush the hair from Rohan's face. Pema should give him a hair cut. 

"Of course I was safe, I knew you guys were in the crowd protecting my people so I could get to safety," I said smiling at him. Meelo puffed his chest looking at his sister proud, the youngest Airbender copier his brother's actions. "Now where is your Dad?"

"He is in the kitchen with Korra," I thank them and head towards the kitchen. Rohan and Ikki follow behind me as Meelo harasses Tuila as he normally does. I enter the kitchen and two sets of eyes fall on me, the kids wander in and steal the fruit Korra and Tenzin were eating. 

"Rina, this is so unexpected," Tenzin says standing up to hug the girl, Korra follows his lead. We sit back down at the table and take a piece of fruit before Rohan could take it. He eyes me off with an evil glint in his eye. "What brings you back to Republic city?"

"Bolin wrote to me and said that they have a suspected Sozin Fire in custody. Two of the lords have plotted against my maid and friend, I believe there is another plot happening behind the scenes and I need to prove them wrong." I state, Korra and Tenzin glance between each other. It seems that everyone knows about this man except the fire nation.

"I can take you to where they are keeping him," Korra says. As she stands up, Asami enters the room. She goes in to kiss Korra but spots me, she smiles and walks around to hug me. I stand up and wrap my arms around her. 

"It's so good to see you, I'm sorry that you have to deal with this threat in this already stressful time." She says rubbing my back. She pulls away and smirks at me, "How have you and Mako been? Last time we saw you both, it was going well." 

"We're at a good place but he is with Wu in the Earth Kingdom and I'm meant to be in the Fire Nation. Hopefully, I can visit soon but I'm glad I have to the chance to come here even under the direst of circumstances." I say, she gives me a sad smile and hugs me again. Korra kisses her and then we both leave the temple. We take the ferry across and to the police station. After a few words with Lin, we are allowed to see him. We enter the holding cells and I stare wide-eyed at the prisoner. "Tomiichi?!"

"Princess Rina, it's great to see you again." He mutters looking up at me from his seat in the cell. I grab the bars and glare at him, he signs and steps towards me. "So seem surprised, I don't think you should be?"

"How could you betray me and your nation like this?" I growl. He laughs and turns his back to me. I understand that he could be upset with me for moving on but to go to this extent. I watch him carefully as he paces. 

"I was thrown away by my family like I was expendable so when the Sozin Fire's approached me with the news that you were becoming the next heir instead of your brother. I couldn't wait to get revenge on my family." He said. He sat down on the ground and stared up at me, his cockiness from before had disappeared

"Why am I threat?" I question quietly kneeling so I was at his eye height. He looked so sad, nothing like the boy who was dating and who I loved. "Is it because I'm a woman?"

"Of course it is! Look at the Fire Nation's history, your mother, the first female Firelord, is unwavering in dedication to the throne and there is no doubt you will be aswell. Sozin, Azulon, Ozai and even Zuko were easily corrupted as heirs and Firelord, that's why we can't have you as Firelord." He yells, his breathing was laboured and he picked at his nails making them bleed. He was acting deranged. "And now your family is allowing scum into the bloodline, your boyfriend Mako. He is a mixed, a mutt. It is destroying 

"You're disgraceful betraying your country because you are threatened by a woman and her family." I shake my head and stand up, his eyes follow me as I start walking away from his cell. "You will be extradited to the Fire Nation and you will official questioned there." 

"You know I am right?" He speaks up. I turn back to him slowly and nod. 

"You should be threatened by me because I will not allow bacteria like you to infect my nation," I state leaving the boy in the empty cell block. I enter the main area of the police station, Lin and Korra wait for me. Their eyes follow me as I enter the room, "Of course it was my ex-boyfriend. Lin, can you please organised his transport to the Fire Nation, he has committed crimes against the royal family." 

"Did he say anything about who is informing the Sozin Fires?" Korra questions, I shake my head and turn back to the door which leads to the cells. He wasn't going to be hard to crack though.

I've always appreciated the peacefulness of Air Temple Island and the way the lamps transformed the Island into a fantasy world after sunset. My favourite spot was a pointed rock along the shoreline that had a perfect view of Avatar Aang's statue. I was only one when Avatar Aang passed away but I have grown up admiring him through my Grandfather and Grandmother's stories of him. I have always wondered what advice he would have given me especially in the situation that I've found myself in. Though I'm sure if I asked my Grandfather, he'd attempt a bad impression. 

I stand up and start walking along the thin beach, looking at the lit buildings across the water. I wish Mako was here. I walk towards the water and allow the small waves to reach my feet, the water was cool unlike the water surrounding the Captial Island. "Princess Rina, are you alright?"

I turn to the voice, Asami stands on the rocks before the beach. I shrug my shoulders and turn back to the water, I heard the sand grinding under her feet as she walked towards me. She stares at the busy city in front of us, the only light on us was a single lamp behind us. "I'm so scared"

"Why?" She says turning to me, she places her hand on my shoulder and rubs it with her thumb. I bury my face into my hands as tears drip off my cheeks, "What is wrong Rina?"

"I'm scared of becoming my Great-grandfather and Firelords before him. My Grandfather and Mother have done such a good job keeping peace and all of this responsibility was meant to be Iroh's why did he dump it on me?" I sob, she hugs me and rubs my back as I cry into her shoulder. Crying for me was not common, the time I did so was when I watched Mako leaving and before that was at Sokka's funeral when passed away when I was fourteen. 

"Rina, you're Brother didn't do this because he wanted to hurt you. He needed to keep living as himself and I think he did it because he knew you were going to be a great leader who would do anything to keep the peace between the nations and continue Lord Zuko's and Avatar Aang's legacy." She states, I smile at her through my tears and wrap my arms around her as I let the rest of my tears out. I feel her shift to look up at the rocks from where she came from, "Korra."

"Isn't it weird that all three of us have dated Mako at one point?" Korra mutters joining the hug, the other girls laugh with her.