Chapter 20: Rina's Robes

I step into the small parlour room, It was rarely used and held some of the oldest pieces of furniture in the Fire Nation. A team of three women and a man had set up in the middle of the room, with a small petal and mirrors. 

It had been a month since Mako and I proposed to each other but unlike common engagements, Royal ones were fast-tracked for convenience and security. Though Mako and I didn't mind, it would have been nice to relish in our engagement a bit longer. It was exciting to think that in a months time, I would be walking towards my future with this beautiful man. He treated me with such patience and kindness, sometimes much more than I believe I deserve but he has never made me doubt our relationship and his dedication. 

"Princess Rina, you are so beautiful! Come please sit down while we show you some dresses and robes, the Firelord will be here in a moment." The tailor says politely guiding me towards a red velvet couch, on the side table he placed two glasses and poured water in. Two of the women brought out dresses, each dress were popular styles and I had seen a few similar types in the newspaper. They just weren't my style, they take them away and brought out similar dresses. I sigh and turn to the doors as my mother walks in. She smiles and takes a seat next to me, I hand her a glass of water. Her nose scrunched up as she looks at the dresses in front of us. 

"I would rather traditional outfits than modern dresses, can I please see the collection of family heirlooms?" The Seamstress and the Tailor look at each other defeated, they must have had their heart set on me wearing one of their designs. They bring out four robes in total, I stand up and walk towards a white one with dark red linings and waist belt. It was gorgeous, my mother walking up to me and placed her hand on my shoulder. 

"This was the wedding dress of Rina, your grandfather's grandmother. She gave this dress to her daughter, in hope that Ursa would wear it on her wedding day but she never was allowed because of Ozai's orders. You will look beautiful in it and it will bring honour to your namesake." She says smoothing out the material, the women rush around me and help me get undressed then put the robes on. The sleeves were slightly too long so they pinned them up but everywhere else fit well. It hugged my waist and made my neck look longer. My mother held my hair up as we looked in the mirror, "I can't believe you are only twenty-two years old, I'm so proud of the woman you have become. You will be a strong and compassionate Firelord and that is what the people need." 

"Thank you, Mum." I say tears brimming my eyes, I turn to her and embrace her. 

I quietly opened the door , Mako laid on the loveseat in our room with his arm draped across his stomach. His eyes fluttered open and a smile came on his face as he spotted me, "Hello," He said his voice husky, I kneel next to the chair and take his hand. "How was your dress fitting?"

"It was good, it was much quicker than I thought it would be," I giggled, he pulls my hair piece out letting the rest of my hair fall beside my face. His fingers comb through my hair and I slip my finger through his hand and kiss it. He sits up and puts both his hands on my face then brings me in for a kiss. I melt into him as my hands rest of either side of his legs. We separate and I rest my head on his knee, "I can't believe, in a month we'll be married."  

"Me neither," He whispers, he stares down at me and I get a sense that he wants to say something. I sit up and put my hands on his hips, he clears his throat and rubs the back of his neck. "I know I should have asked you before attempting to propose to you but what are your views on children?"

"I'm expected to have them but I want them. At least two, I adore my brother and I can't imagine having a child grow up without a sibling." I say, Mako's smile grows and his leans down to kiss me again. 

"I feel the same way, I'm happy to have as many as you want." He laughs as my eyes bug out, I at least wanted two but I'm not popping out fifty children. I grab his hand and stand up, I pull him towards the bed and a smirk comes onto his face. "You don't have anymore appointments?" 

"Nope, I'm all yours for the rest of the night." 

As the sun came through the window, Mako and I danced around each other trying to get dressed for the day. I slip my robes on and quickly put my half my hair up in a bun. Mako took my hair piece and put it into the bun, I smiled as I turned towards him. I wrap my arms around his waist and kissed his lips, "Thank you, I need to go but I love you so much." 

"I know," He smirks, kissing me a final time before I rush out of the room. I start walking towards the meeting room and Zanni runs up beside me, "Miss Hei, is waiting for you and the Firelord in the gallery." 

I stop and turn to her, "I forgot! We're meeting Miss Hei today because the meeting been cancelled." I grab Zanni's shoulder and she looks at me startled, "Thank you, I'm so lucky to have you." 

She smiles and we quickly walk back the way we came. As we reach the gallery, I stopped just out of eye sight and fix my robes up. I enter the room and Tai Hei turns to me. Her appearance always took me by surprise, her blonde locks and blue eyes were rare in the Fire Nation. She  smiled and came to me with her hand outstretched. "Princess Rina, it is great to see you again. I was told the Firelord, was on her way." 

"Please take a seat," I direct her to the chair and she sits down. Her legs were crossed neatly and her hands clasped together, it was normal to be formal in the Palace but she seemed on edge. I sit down across from her and she takes a biscuit. She seemed different from the day I met her.