C H A P T E R 9

[January 25,2017.   1:01  am]

"Hello?"  A tired yet soft voice answered the call causing Grey's heartbeat to fasten. Midnight. She answered him. She still cared. She's still here.

"Midnight." He answered more breathlessly than he wanted.

"Grey."  She asked her voice hardening as Grey felt hurt. Where was the Midnight who was so understanding and gentle?

"How... How are you?"

"Good."  She answered curtly her voice concealing all her emotions.

"Oh."

"I'm sorry,but... why did you call? She asked without care, causing Grey to panic. Maybe he was too late, maybe she didn't care anymore, maybe she didn't want him or his problems anymore, all the things they did and the words they said felt dead. Grey felt lonely and sad again. He felt-

"Grey?" Her usual gentle voice causing Grey's heart to stop, making him breathless.

She was definitely an angel.

"I.. Um... Wanted to see if you were fine..." He said with  hesitancy.

It was silent for awhile causing Grey to worry.

"Well... I'm fine, you called. Thanks."

"It's never been a problem Midnight."  He said softly trying to make her understand. Trying to let her know he was still here. Still waiting.

The silence was defeating as all Grey could hear was her breathing.

Midnight if you don't want me to talk to you it's fine, I'll just call another day I know your tired from school and-" Grey tried to rush out but was cut by a breathless Midnight.

" I know... I just wanted to thank you... For trying... Not a lot of people try because... Well because they don't need me... So thank you..." Her voice wavered abut causing Grey to worry.

"Midnight..." He croaked out softly, wanting her to understanding. Needed her to understand. Grey only cared if she understand. He never felt the need to explain things to people, but over time he felt the need for Midnight to understand. To know that what he did sometimes wasn't the best, but it wasn't bad.

"I was scared Grey. I felt like you didn't need me...not... Not many people do, so I thought... You would let go, let me go... Let our friendship go..... I don't know you, you don't know me... And I was scared how emotionally dependent I was becoming on you... So I left.... I'm... I'm so sorry.." Grey felt drained and angry. How dare she think he didn't need her. She was so important to him. How could she...

"I'm sorry too Midnight... I'm sorry that I need you and you make me happy and I can't even listen to you... You're right I don't know you, I've never met you... But I trust you. I care about you. So don't doubt the faith I have in you. We have forever to call each other and get to know each other so if you think just because I don't know you I'll leave you, you're wrong." He said angrily and tiredly. Midnight softly listened her breaths back to normal.

"Have a little faith in me Midnight..." He broke out all his anger leaving his body. The tiredness only left.

"Please..." He begged softly.

  "Please understand..."

"Always Grey. I'll always have faith in you." She softly said causing Grey to smile.

"I know... But thank you anyways..." He softly said. And for once, he felt complete and whole.

-   -   -   -   -   -