chapter twenty two (i saw mike)

i walked into school with a smile, expecting to see richie at my locker.

instead,

i saw mike.

the one person i really didn't want to, of course.

"mike." i nodded, as he opened his locker. "really, i am sorry." he kind of winced at the awkward tension.

richie came up behind me and pulled me into a hug, "hey kimmie." he smiled, before pecking my cheek.

"tozier." i grinned.

"well, nice seeing you, i got class." mike waved awkwardly and began to walk off. that was until richie pulled him back.

"nah, bro stay!" he slapped him on the back. "bro?" i tilted my head in confusion. "you know?" mike whispered, his eyes squinted.

"know what?" richie became confused too, soon enough we were all silently staring at one another.

"mike." el gave a small smile, making mike blush a light pink. "hey el." he pecked her lips, but then made eye contact with me.

i quickly broke it off, and closed my locker. i intertwined my fingers with richies and walked with him towards class.

"are you okay kim?" he stopped in his tracks and pulled me closer to him. "yeah, i'm fine." i shook it off, he tugged me into a hug.

"you can always talk to me." he wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my forehead. "bitch, i know." i laughed, pulling back.

"okayyy? no sappy shit. got it." he lightly punched my shoulder. he pushed his glasses up onto the bridge of his nose and looked around.

"i love you." i let go of his hand, and slouched as i walked into class. "i love you more!" i heard him yell, as he started off in the other direction.

-

mike sat behind me, so i didn't turn around to check the clock like i normally would. i didn't want anymore awkward eye contact.

"kimberly." a voice whispered, i knew who it was by the way they tapped my shoulder.

"mike." i stated, still not looking back. "what's wrong?" he asked politely, i heard his papers moving and soon enough his books dropped on the desk next to mine.

"listen, you have to promise me you won't tell him. please, i would get in so much trouble." he was quiet, but his eyes, a piercing brown, dug into mine.

"you need to tell him, i can't keep it for long. if he finds out i know. he will be so pissed at me, i'm not kidding. he is going to be so upset." i shook my head.

"give me time." he paused, making me turn my head to face him. "i just need time." he pleaded as if in a court room and guilty.

"of course." i nodded, "but you will tell him. won't you?" i asked, breaking eye contact again to look down at my paper.

"yes, yes, i just- i- i need time." he stuttered. i stuck out my pinky.

"promise?" soon he stuck his out as well, "promise."

our pinkys locked, and so did my mouth.

"my lips are sealed." i threw away the invisible key after zipping my lips.

"thank you so much kimberlina." he hugged me tightly, my stomach dropped.

"yeah, yeah. no big deal." i pushed him off seconds later, "don't think anything of it."