Chapter 1 (A beginning)

You were standing right before your now new high school while couldn't help the smile growing in your face. You were finally here. You heard a yelp as you turned around to see your friend running after you.

"(Y/N), wait!!" Hitoka yelled and after a few seconds she was right next to you, trying to catch her breath. "I know you're excited and all, but we are a lot earlier than we should" she sighed and looked at you.

"I know. Sorry for making you run this early, Hitoka-chan" you apologised, a hand scratching your head. "But look at the positive side, we can explore the school before class begin!" after saying that, you continued walking into the building, Hitoka mentally cursing.

"But is that even allowed? If teachers find out we were poking around they will kill us" she said with a terrifying look on her face.

"Don't worry, don't worry! We are just gonna walk around" you reassured her, rubbing her back because she was still breathing fast due to her sprint to catch up with you moments before.

You've been waiting expectantly months to go to Karasuno High School. It all started two years ago. On that time you were a second year and studied in Chidoriyama Junior High, which was pretty close to your house. You met really good friends and you made great memories there. You didn't really like sports, but you ended playing volleyball because of one of your friends, whose brother was a professional player. Apparently, he was in Karasuno when they went to the nationals, so he was in the team with the little giant. Your friend kept saying to you that she was impressed when she saw their matches, and so she began to practise volleyball, dragging you to it too. You couldn't deny, she was so excited.

Nevertheless, you had doubts. You've seen a few matches in TV and you could tell that to play volleyball you need to be tall. You weren't. You actually were pretty short.

Despite your height, you started playing volleyball with your friend. Practising serves, tosses and spikes. You two will meet up in the park nearly everyday. She had no problems with it since she was pretty tall. Time passed, and you started to enjoy playing volleyball but was afraid of joining a team. What could a short person like you contribute in a sport team where the height is so important?

You even visited the gym once, but the club was full of tall girls, some with which you didn't even get along with. So, at the end you gave up. You just couldn't do it.

But then, your friend invited you to see a match of Chidoriyama's male volleyball club. When you arrived, the match had already began. They were still in the first set and Chidoriyama was losing against Kitagawa Daiichi. You sighed as you watch the rival team obtaining one more point; they were then at the set point. A Kitagawa Daiichi player served, your school received it and attacked, but were stopped by a block.

Then, to your surprise, a really short boy from your school team received it, lifting the volleyball. The audience were clapping so hard, while you were speechless. 'He is so short, but despite that, despite that he...'

'He can fight like the rest of the team'

You were inspired to say the least. Cheering your team, shouting from the bottom of your lungs. The short boy, (who you have to say, had an strange hairstyle) kept receiving balls that every other person would have thought were already lost. Your friend looked at you, seeing you watching the match intensively with tears in the corner of you eyes. She smiled.

The match ended, Chidoriyama lost. You felt bad for you school team, they seemed to be putting so much effort on the match. But the setter of the other team defeated them, you guessed he was probably a genius; those tosses weren't normal. However, what impacted you the most wasn't the talented setter. It was the libero from your team. You heard he even received the title of best libero in junior high.

After the match ended, all his mates were broken, some nearly in tears. However, the boy, who was the one that gave the biggest effort, just gave them an smile, reassuring his teammates.

You walked with your friend out of the building and looking at her, you asked "Can we go practise a little, please?"

Since then, you started to practise frequently. You even wanted to join the female club, however they were always missing practise, so you concluded that it was useless. You spent your last junior high year dozing off classes and playing volleyball alone in afternoon.

Your volleyball friend was a year older than you, so she had already left school. When you texted her, she said that she had already forgot about volleyball and was now focused on studies.

You were kind of disappointed, but you had an idea. You searched for the pamphlet someone gave you in the match where you had seen that boy. You started reading all the names. Trying to remember which was his shirt number, you stared at the paper in your little hands. Then you found it.

"Yuu Nishinoya" you murmured to yourself. Some days after, you started to ask people about him. A boy who were at the volleyball team with him said that he was attending Karasuno High School.

You wanted to see him again, he inspired you after all.

And then, a year later, you were finally there. Casually, your neighbour and childhood friend, Yachi Hitoka, was going to attend Karasuno as well, so you told her about everything and she supported you, offering walking to school together. But the poor Hitoka couldn't predict that you were going to wake her earlier and make her run to school like that.

The two of you were now walking through the school, when you caught sight of the gym. However, the bell sounded in that exact moment and you had to go back to entered the class with the rest of the students.