𝐈. 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐏𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐅𝐅 𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐎𝐑

quote: "find the courage to let go of what you can't change," — unknown

⋆°✶⋆°⋆✶°⋆°✶⋆°⋆✶°⋆

PEOPLE SAY ALMOST ONE hundred years ago the 'McFadden heir' passed. People say he was a joyful, kind, friendly, young man, who lived a short life. Every year for as long as I can possibly remember, my family (just mum, me and my dad used to too before he passed away) and I would lite lanterns and lift them up into the sign of respect, on the day he died. I always felt sorry for the boy, Casper McFadden.

Most people would be afraid to go there, to the old very very creepy Whipstaff Manor. And add the near-constant rumours of four ghosts that are believed to haunt its grounds. No one had lived there in what surely longer than twenty years. Since the girl and her father left (the most recent owners) so suddenly they never sold the place. I hated the fact that most people wanted to leave this old town, know as 'Friendship,' most of our families have lived here for generations, as I do have a few descendants here too. Well lucky me, seeing that no one owns it and because no one wants it, the Mayor put the place up for auction and my Mum saved it and brought the land and the house. Only if she knew what she was getting the both of us into... It often outraged me that my mother and I both know that Whipstaff Manor is cursed and unfortunately she seems to have a horrible memory because she was the one that told me stories about the place.

I hated standing on that fateful day watching the whole town looking on by the rusty gates, only showing up to watch my Mother a known member of this town place her hand up and buy the old manor that was almost beyond repair. The shock and astonishing look on their faces, some of the older townsfolk with pale faces. Even a kind elderly lady gave me a bunch of yellow roses (that were commonly found around Friendship) and I deeply appreciated the gesture. I almost died of embarrassment, not because of the roses but the fact that no one would forget this. I just wanted to hide away under a nice sturdy rock and never come out.

Some times I wish I could have lived one hundred years ago. Fitting in was not a problem, back in those days. Life was so much simpler, easier. Most of the townsfolk thought that they'd find someone to live there or knock it down. It was rather sad, but I understand that these sort of things happen. And to make my life better, I'm moving there. To a very old mansion that is so old, I don't know how old it is! Which is why shouldn't it be heritage listed or something? So my mum and I wouldn't have to live there and plus they could of make it into something cool. Like a museum or something maybe? Even a library or a nursing home.

My life sucks right now, I'm a loser, who has lived at Friendship Maine all her life and is gonna live at the old rundown mansion! And that people all the people of this town know is haunted! Yay! You could add that to the embarrassing things in my life. The only reason my mother decided to move me and her there is because she loves old things, she's an antique collector. And for the love of God, she loves old houses. I might just invite Scooby-Doo and his gang!

"Anything old is just a measure of the importance of what we have humans have accomplished," my mother would say, her eyes full of happiness. "Antique collecting shows that if you set your mind to something, you can do it. All you have to do is dream."

I suppose 'Antique Collecting' became Mum's passion once my Dad died. She always avoids the subject of my Dad, she never gave me a reason why, but I suspect that is because I remember us both crying, in each other's arms on the old couch. I remember the look on her face. In her eyes, I saw pain. So much pain and sadness, that she had to distract herself. Getaway from everything, able to forget for a while. So much to my own dismay, my mother Maryanne sold our perfectly good house, in exchange for the mansion. Okay, I seriously was internally beginning to kick myself, I need someone to hand the shovel, so I can go outside and start digging my grave.