Smile

Dave's p.o.v.

"The young man who dropped you off is here to pick you up. Surprising that your brother didn't, I saw him come by last night to pay for the bill." The nurse told me. I got dressed out of my gown and into my jeans and T-shirt. She opened her mouth as if to ask about my brother, but I gave her a look with slanted eyebrows that made her shut it.

I gathered my things and thanked her for her help as I went to the lobby. I saw Karkat sitting in one of the cobalt cushioned chairs, his legs spread a little and his elbows resting on his knees. His dark hair was shadowing his eyes and his small horns poked out like little bunnies poking their heads above the grass. I bit my bottom lip to prevent myself from smiling.

He looked up and his eyes were wide with concern. "Hey." He said gruffly.

"Hey." I said. "Can we... Go?"

He nodded his head quickly and looked down at his shoes as we were walking out of the doors and to my car. I got into the passengers seat and he sat behind the wheel. My eyes cut his hands, watching how he treats my keys and the gear shift.

Once he got on the main road, I asked, "How are you getting me home after dropping me off?"

"I will just walk somewhere along the road and call a friend to pick me up." Karkat says.

I gave him my address and he put it into his google maps. We didn't talk much during the ride, and I felt uncomfortable. The same questions kept on tugging the hem of my shirt. Why is he driving me? I barely know him, Terezi or John should be taking me home. Why does he help me so much? Why? Why does his hair hang low like that, and how does his long fingers cower under his long sleeves?

I would glance at his neck, his ears, his face. I would occasionally examine his appearance as his eyes were set on the road. My skin crawled when I saw his dark eyes quickly shift from the road to me for a second.

"Why are you fucking staring me?"

"Why are you driving my car?" I said back dryly.

His hand curled further around the wheel. "Because you are still recovering."

"I got electrocuted, I didn't break my legs." I  kicked my feet and wiggled my arms. "They still work, no more twitching."

Karkat sighed and kept his eyes on the road, a minute silence until he said, "Who did it to you."

This question again. "No one did it to me, I was messing around in science class and got shocked."

"Oh, really?" Karkat laughed. He turned to me, a tight smile on his face. "Because the nurse told me that you were playing with your friend's electro-ball and you accidentally broke it."

Fuck. My hands started to shake a little. "Why do you care how it happened, huh? What if I'm just embarrassed, huh? Can I have my privacy?" I gripped onto my jeans. "You aren't my fucking dad, stop acting like it. You don't know me, all you did was give me some rides." I said that last sentence a little quieter.

He stopped in the parking lot behind my apartment building and kept the doors locked. He turned to me and grabbed the collar of my shirt and pulled me toward him  so forcefully, that I squeaked. His glare was drilling holes in my eyes, and fear came all around me.

"YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK?" Karkat yelled in my face. His voiced boomed all around the inside of the car, and my eardrums rumbled. "I DIDN'T JUST GIVE YOU A FEW RIDES. I DID MORE THAN THAT, FUCKER. I FUCKING SAW YOU, SALIVA AND BLOOD SPILLING FROM YOUR MOUTH AND YOUR SKIN SIZZLING LIKE A FUCKING SKILLET IN THAT JANITORS CLOSET. I PICKED YOUR HEAVY ASS UP WITH MY SKINNY ASS ARMS AND TOOK YOU TO THE HOSPITAL. I SAT THERE BESIDE YOU IN THAT ROOM FOR THREE HOURS AND COUNTED EACH AND EVERY TWITCH YOUR MUSCLES MADE. THREE HOURS AND YOUR STUNNED MUSCLES SPASMED 78 TIMES. 26 TIMES YOUR WHOLE BODY SEEMED TO FUCKING JOLT, MAKING YOUR EYES SHOOT OPEN AND YOU WOULD ASK ME TO LET GO OF YOU. TO LET GO OF YOUR ARMS. YOU TOLD ME THAT MY GRIP WAS TOO TIGHT."