Thankful

Karkat's p.o.v. still

It all happened in an instant, his hands held the sides of my face and his lips embraced mine. My heart swelled and my chest did too, and my eyes were as wide as ever.

The first thought in my head was, well this was a wild night. First me and Dave danced, and now he has kissed me. I don't even know what to do, I'm stunned.

He pulls away, looking regretful. "I'm sorry." He says quickly and takes one sip on his coffee, sets it down, and runs out of the kitchen with his shades in his hand.

"Dave!" I called after him. I ran around the kitchen counter and to the living room. I watched him pick up his jacket from the couch and slip on his shoes at the door. "Where are you going??"

He didn't respond and briskly walked down the steps and bounded down the sidewalk towards the driveway. "Damnit, Dave!" I yelled in frustration, running out of the hive in my pajamas and no shoes or socks. He unlocked his car and sat inside. I finally caught up to him, and before he could close the car door, I put my body up against it. "What are you doing?!"

"What does it look like I'm doing?!"

I grunted in frustration. "It looks like you are being irrational!"

Dave slouched over his wheel and held both sides of his head. "I can't! I fucking can't!"

"You can't what??"

He sat there, his tight grip holding the steering wheel and a firm gaze chained to his front window. He was shaking so much and from this angle, he looked so small. He was blushing immensely and he looked up at me. "I'm so fucking sorry, forget that happened. You know what? It didn't happen, because it didn't happen."

"You bet your ass it happened." I bent down and got into the seat next to him, taking his keys out of his hand and putting them under my leg. "You're not leaving."

"Why not?"

I grinned at him. "Because you surprised me! I wasn't even comprehending what the fuck you were doing! You just took a blind swan dive into the Vantas River without saying 'timber!'"

Dave tried to surpress a laugh. "Diving into a river and the phrase 'timber' don't really mix."

I pushed his arm playfully, laughing along. "Honestly, human phrases are confusing to put together with circumstances." Our laughter dwindled down and I pressed my lips together, looking down at my lap. "Why were you running?"

"You really want me to tell you?" I nodded in response. Dave rubbed his arm awkwardly and slapped it, maybe to prep himself or whatever. [Pro writer over here amirite lol] "I was running away because I was afraid of what my bro would think. He is really against me having any sort of intimate relationship with trolls."

"huh." I tilted my head to the side. "Well, he isn't here, is he?"

Dave shook his head and looked at my face, his eyes moving down to my lips.

Dave's p.o.v.

Karkat started to come closer to me, and every vein in me was pulsating and burning up. His warm hand snaked up my neck and I stayed completely still as he tilted his head. His lips brushed up against mine and I shut my eyes closed. Then, just like that, everything happened all at once. His lips clashed with mine and my heart ran as fast as it possibly could.

His fingers ran through my hair, sending me shivers and he pushed my head closer to his, my nose brushing against his as our lips moved. They are...beautiful. The way he described my eyes kept on replaying in my head. That's when I started to grasp to every part of him, thankful for everything he has done for me. I fucking deserved that punch in the face, I can't believe I've been oblivious of all the help he has given me.

My hands softly held his waist and held the side of his neck, moving the fabric of his clothes with my thumb. He removed his lips from mine and held his head against mine. I could feel his breath on my collarbone.

"Dave." He said breathlessly. "I care about you so much and I don't know why, please don't run away from me."

I wrapped my arms around his body. "I won't. I won't."