15) Time

"You are ill, my king." The Wiseman spoke. "And I don't think you'll be getting better soon..." There was a sadness in his eyes, and Jareth noticed this quickly.

"What is it? Tell me the truth. No sugarcoats." His monotone voice was stern and rough.

The Wiseman swallowed, and even his hat went silent since it could know what the Wiseman's thoughts were.

"Do you wish for me to bring in Sarah?"

"No..." Jareth shook his head immediately. "No, I want to hear this first, and alone. I do not want her to know of this as it may hinder or seriously ruin the progress I've made. Continue."

"With your current...eh, form situation, and with the amount of time you've spent in it, time is running low." He sighed. "You may not have noticed yet, but your previous form and your soul are becoming more and more detached the longer you stay this way. You do not have long until you will be stuck in this form forever, I'm afraid."

"I'm trying my best to change Sarah's mind, it's not like it can happen overnight." Jareth growled. "Had I know this I would've been trying harder-"

"If you tried harder, it may have just pushed her away. Perhaps it is best you keep doing what you are. But beware, my king, that you do not have much time left." The hat chimed in,

"Soon you oughta make yer move!"

Jareth stared at the two and the Wiseman nodded.

"If you become stuck in this form, you begin to slowly lose the right sense of mind. You quite literally will become a monster in every sense." Jareth shifted in the bed. "Not only will you lose your mind, but your body will begin to look worse than it is now. If you can get the young woman to change her mind within the next month, you shall be saved."

"And if not?" The Goblin King rubbed his temple.

"Then..." Wiseman paused. "you may be out of cure's reach."

The Goblin King groaned before he and the Wiseman sat in silence, contemplating the next move. Jareth's head and throat ached, almost as if he had some sort of sick whiplash. The information he had just received was whiplash.

"What shall I tell the girl?"

"Just tell her I will be okay. Minor illness..." Jareth chuckled roughly. ""Minor illness" my ass."

The Wiseman simply nodded and left to retrieve Sarah, who waited just outside the quarters.

While Jareth had the quick moment alone, a single tear rolled down his cheek as he swore under his breath,

"Shit..."