17) Without Love, Pain

Jareth's eyes widened at Sarah, who had her pale jewel orbs closed for a small second. His whole being froze in shock. Was her love enough? Could she at last set him free of the curse?

When she pulled away Jareth expected to turn back. But he didn't. Nothing changed but the sad disappointment that never failed to bring on the pain.

It wasn't enough.

"I thought...I thought I loved you enough but..." Sarah's voice wavered. Jareth looked down and sighed and swallowed the bile.

"There is still time..." He hummed.

"Jareth I'm so sorry." She teared up. "But something deep down inside me just- just won't forgive you for what you did..."

"No matter. What's done is done, and...only time will heal." He turned and stalked his way to the window, peering out over his Labyrinth. His Kingdom. His Life.

Sarah sniffed and hesitated to leave, but she knew the Goblin King wanted to be alone, and so she let him be.

When Jareth heard the door click shut he leaned on his elbows against the wall, breaking down sobbing. He lifted his head and sniffed, grinding his horns against the stone which left an uncomfortable bone-on-brick sound that could give anyone goosebumps.

"Gods. Be. Damned..." He choked in a guttural voice.

Dragging his clawed fingers across the wall, they found themselves being run down Jareth's chest across his heart, and soon down his cheek.

He was so close. She was so close.

Jareth could feel his time running out and it drove him absolutely mad. There were only a few weeks left before he was doomed, and he was desperate for Sarah's love and acceptance of her fate. Her destiny.

He slumped to the fur rug in front of the fireplace and wrapped himself in the duvet, sitting in silence while the flames crackled and the wind howled outside.

The Goblin King only feared for the worst once the month ended.

///

Attached edgy-ass music is "Pain" by Three Days Grace. Accept it.

Also I'm falling back into my Tom Hiddleston/Loki obsession curtesy of Thor Ragnarok

Also I'm falling back into my Tom Hiddleston/Loki obsession curtesy of Thor Ragnarok. Which was epic as shit and hilarious thanks to Loki, so expect something from me later involving him.

 Which was epic as shit and hilarious thanks to Loki, so expect something from me later involving him