18) Deranged Evolution

Art above is mine. Please do not repost or use in any way. Song attached is "Evolution" by KoRn.

///

"Week three..." He muttered, hunched over in the throne. "So close...yet so far... Hah hah hah..." Deep and rough sinister chuckles escaped his throat, quietly echoing off the walls in the night.

Jareth only emerged from his chamber when Sarah and his subjects slept, avoiding the eyes of those who adored him. The eyes of those who used to adore him. Did they even still love their king anymore? He doubted it. The Goblin King snickered to himself.

He flicked his wrist and was suddenly in a quiet part of the Labyrinth. Isolation. Solitude.

Jareth noticed how much he'd changed in the short span of a few weeks. It both intrigued and terrified him.

His thoughts became more deluded, sinister and deranged. His body had begun to transform, now resulting in his perfect face elongating into something more creature-esque.

He had been hiding from Sarah since his changes. Jareth did not want her to see him, no matter how much she insisted but to no avail. He did not want his looks to push her away and ruin the progress they'd made.

"Is it so hard..." He growled, trying his best to prevent himself from breaking. "...Is it so hard to forget and forgive?!" His hoarse voice echoed off the Labyrinth walls as he roared,

"I AM A MONSTER!!"

Thunder rumbled above in the sky, and his angry tone was quickly traded for something more sorrowful as he sang to himself.

"Love me, love me, love me, say you do..." He sniffed and looked back to his castle, wondering if Sarah could ever truly love a monster like himself. Even with his mental state, he feared she wouldn't want him. He was literally going mad.

He flicked his wrist once more and appeared beside Sarah's bed, standing tall above the sleeping young woman.

"Please, Sarah..." He whispered. "Accept my apology... I am so, so sorry... for what I've done to you..."

Jareth's body swayed side to side before he eventually collapsed beside her bed, falling unconscious once again, and in possibly the worse place.

///

We're almost done, I promise. You probably want this book to end as much as I do by this point.

 You probably want this book to end as much as I do by this point