Chapter Ten.

Ivan and Laurel walked around the large pond in the middle of the park downtown, it was one of their favorite places as young teens. Ivan lead the way, Laurel walked a few steps behind him as she watched the other people at the park. A mother was having a picnic with her two small boys as her husband and a small girl fed ducks. Two teens ducked behind the rose bushes hand in hand and obviously in a hurry. An elderly couple sat on a bench, her head resting on his shoulder as he read a book in a soft even voice.

Together they rounded the pond and stepped up onto the old, worn wooden boards that made up the small gazebo in the park.

"This place looks exactly the same,"  Ivan said.

"Yes, it does."

She leaned against the railing, her back to the park, staring at her shoes. It was slightly more awkward than she thought it would be bringing Ivan here. They had shared their first kiss in this very same spot, it hadn't been great. Ivan was worried about pushing his boundaries and she was inexperienced, Ezra had been just a few yards away not paying attention as they tried to sneak in their first kiss, fumbling hands and clumsy mouths.

"Are you...thinking what I'm thinking?"  He asked gently.

"I was...I was thinking about our first kiss, actually." She said with a small laugh feeling ridiculous.

"Me too."

She laughed and shook her head, turning to look out at the park.

"It was so awkward," She said with a laugh.

"Gee, thanks."

"Not you, but...it was awkward."

"Yeah it was, I just...I didn't want to scare you off I wasn't sure that you felt the same way I did and then Ezra insisted on walking to the park with us, which I didn't plan."

"I did feel the same way, I remember waiting and wondering if you were ever going to do it."

"I wanted to, for a long time. Trust me."

"Do you remember...the day we met?" She asked.

"In school, Ezra was new and someone pushed him down in the lunch line. You turned around and punched them in the face...got detention for 2 weeks. I think I knew right then that I was in love with you."

"We went to the same school for years, you never noticed me until then."

"We had some good times the three of us," he said.

"Yes we did."

"A lot of them were here, out first kiss, our first real date, the first time you let me get to second base." He teased.

"Thank you for coming back here with me. I know it's not easy being here with all the memories," She said with a heavy sigh

"You're welcome."

"We should probably get back, mom will be cooking dinner." She said.

"Okay."

Laurel pushed away from the railing and turned preparing to leave when Ivan straightened and caught her by the wrist.

"Wait, before we go back..."

He turned her and without another word leaned forward and kissed her full on the lips. She froze and then slowly melted slightly into him. His lips moved gently over hers, this time was different than their first time.

There was no awkwardness, no fumbling hands, no sloppy kisses. He kissed her gently and surely, one hand framing her face. When he pulled away he saw the surprise in her eyes.