Chapter Twenty Two.

Ivan made it all the way to the town line and then he stopped, sitting in his car and staring at the giant white sign bidding him goodbye.

He sat there a few long minutes, pulled onto the shoulder of the road.

"Damn," he said with a heavy sigh.

He wanted to leave but something in him just wouldn't. He sat in the car a full forty-five minutes and then turned and drove back into town.

He drove to the other side of town a few miles away from Laurels parents house to a motel and got himself a room. Maybe he would just hang out a few hours.

He found the lounge area first and ordered a whiskey to drink, sitting at the bar listening to sappy music playing on the soft jukebox.

"I wish you were here, Ezra...I'm really in a mess," He said softly to himself.

As a thought, he pulled out his cell phone and dialed the number of the last person who spoke to Ezra. The one person who maybe knew Ezra the best.

"Hello?" The feminine voice answered.

"Eve, it's Ivan...is this a bad time?"

"No, not for you. You're family."

"How's little Ezra?"

"He's good, he's growing and I think he's getting his first tooth. that's not why you called though, is it?"

"No, unfortunately not. I just...needed to talk to someone."

"About what? Did something happen?" She sounded worried.

"No, nothing terrible. I uh... I left Laurel," He admitted softly.

"I'm sorry...left Laurel? I...I don't understand."

"She uhm...invited me to her cousins' wedding back home and while we were here I just got so caught up in the way things were...I...we...anyway it was really good for awhile."

"So why did you leave?"

"Because it's better for her to be here. You got out Ezra knew you were better off in France far away from all the drama that comes with being tied down to a man in a biker club...I had to do the same for Laurel."

"What did she say?"

"That she didn't want me to go but...if you knew...what they did to her and...she's better off here where nobody can find her, or hurt her, or use her to get to me."

Eve fell silent for a minute and Ivan tossed a twenty on the bar, downing his shot and heading for the door. He could faintly hear Eve mumbling to someone and a faint click as if someone else was on the line.

"Eve? Did you hear that?" He asked.

"No," She replied.

He shook his head crossing the floor, his brain was shot he was tired and he was heartbroken.

"I'm sorry I called, I just...needed something." He said.

He shoved open the door to the bar and had just stepped out onto the sunny sidewalk when a deep voice spoke on the other end of the line.

"You know what I think you need?"

He froze, his heart dropping to his stomach and his chest painfully constricting. His hand started to shake and had his fingers not clenched the phone like a lifeline would have dropped it.

"Ezra?" He asked softly, his voice wavering.

"I think you need a good swift kick in the pants if you don't go back there and get that woman," Ezra said.

Ivan broke, collapsing to his knees on the sidewalk and tears blinding his vision he choked back a sob. Hearing Ezras voice wash over him.

"Now listen, I'm not even supposed to have contact with anyone in the states. Nobody not even my parole officer knows I'm here so I can't talk long," Ezra said.

He tried to focus on Ezras words and not the millions of emotions washing over him all at once.

"You love her, Ivan. You've always loved her but you're holding on to what happened and using it as an excuse to protect yourself."

"I do love her so much but..."

"But you're scared because of what happened to her and because you thought I died. You're afraid to get close, Ivan."

"I want what's best for her, you understand look at what all you did for Eve."

"You're right, I risked everything to make sure she was safe and I sent her clear to France to do it but I followed her. I left the life I had for the one I wanted with her. Leave, Ivan nobody would blame you."

"I can't," he said softly.

"Well, I can't stay on the phone much longer...I shouldn't have done this."

"You don't even realize...how much it means to me to hear your voice."

"I have an idea, when I showed up here I thought Eve would faint on the spot." Ezra said with a laugh.

"I can imagine...when I heard your voice..."Ivan trailed off, choking up yet again.

"I'm happy with my life Ivan, I don't miss the club I only miss you and Laurel and Dad."

"We missed you...I would never have made it through losing you if it hadn't been for her."

"I knew she would take care of you, anyone can tell she's still in love with you. You don't deserve her but...she's always loved you."

"I've missed you." Ivan said again with a heavy sigh.

"I've missed you, I was going to wait until you came to visit Eve but when your life started going to shit I figured it couldn't wait."

Ivan chuckled, still blinking back tears. His heart was still beating so hard in his chest that it ached.

"I have to go, Ivan. I love you and I'm sorry I lied so long but...I had to keep my woman and my child safe."

"I understand and I will be there to visit as soon as I can."

"Bring Laurel with you, I miss her."

"I'll try." Ivan promised.

"Swallow your pride, decide what's more important your club or your wife."

Ivan didn't reply but Ezra hung up. He pushed to his feet a little unsteady as he slid his phone into his pocket. His best friend was alive, after months of guilt and self-blame he was alive in France with the woman he loved. Yet Ivan was here doubting if he could be with Laurel.

*****************************

Laurel managed to struggle through the entire rehearsal without anyone finding out about Ivan. She chose instead to claim he was at home not feeling well and sometime during the day almost had herself convinced it was true.

She returned home with her parents who headed into the kitchen and she started upstairs, she had every intention of going to bed and hiding until morning. She paused halfway up, her parents deserved the truth, no matter how hard it was to swallow.

She walked slowly to the small sunshine kitchen and found her parents sitting at the table. The site of them together so happy combined with Ivan abandoning her, the lies, and what she was about to say was enough to cause tears to start in her eyes.

"Laurel? Sweetie? What's wrong?" Her mother asked instantly concerned.

"Mom...Daddy...."She burst into tears and her mother rushed to take her in her arms.

"I have to tell you something.....something happened to me....something bad."