Chapter Fourteen.

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us?" Laurel asked her mother as she slid on her coat.

"Oh no, you two go ahead out and enjoy yourselves. Me and your dad are going to go see Addison and the kids." Her mother replied.

"Well we will try not to be out too late," Laurel promised.

"You have a key, besides your father and I won't get home until late. Go enjoy dinner out with your husband."

"Okay," Laurel forced a smile.

She didn't want to go out with Ivan, she didn't want to have to try and keep up this charade while she ate dinner.

Ivan came own the stairs, smiling at her as he finished pushing his hair back where he wanted it. She could smell his cologne from where she stood.

"Are you ready?" He asked with a beaming smile.

"As I'm going to be."

He drove her into town and to the fanciest restaurant he could find, as he parked in the parking lot she openly gaped at the building.

"The carriage house? Ivan..."

"You have wanted to eat here since we were kids...now's your chance."

He was right for as long as she could remember she had wanted to eat in the fancy restaurant but as kids and newlyweds, they could never afford it.

"Ivan...this...this is too expensive," She said.

"No, it's not. Not anymore."

He got out of the car first while she was still staring up at the massive brick building and at the couples in fancy clothes going inside.

Ivan opened her door, reaching inside to take her arm and physically tug her from her seat.

"Come on, let me buy you a nice dinner. It's the least I can do," He insisted.

She followed him into the restaurant and they followed a small redhead to their table, white linen table clothes, dark purple cloth napkins and candles in the middle of the roundtable.

"It's beautiful in here, "Laurel said softly.

"Yeah, it is."

They sat at the table and were handed thick leather menus, Laurel opened hers while Ivan ordered some wine. When their hostess hurried off she lowered her menu.

"This place is expensive."

"Laurel, relax. I can afford it."

She bit her lip and then turned her attention back to the menu, there was nothing that cost less than thirty dollars on the menu. True she was beyond rich on her own and she knew Ivan was exceptionally well off at this point she had never gotten used to having money.

She didn't have time to protest again before their waitress appeared, long brown curls tied back with a black ribbon in a white button-up shirt, black tie, and black skirt.

"Hello, I'm Lily and I'll be your server today. Can I start anyone with an appetizer?"

Laurel barely glanced up at her but then Ivan spoke.

"Lily? Lily Marit?"

"Yes, do I know you?" The waitress asked.

Laurel glanced up and then also recognized the woman, Lily. head cheerleader at their old high school who once delighted herself by stealing Ivans affections.

Before Laurel and Ivan began dating when they both protested they were just friends Lily had been his on and off again companion.

"It's me, Ivan." He stood.