Chapter Twenty Four

Included is hopefully a picture of Ella in her dress. Keep in mind sometimes wattpad takes them down.

Rex fussed a little longer with the pillow that he was insisting Evie prop her leg on. She was seated on the couch and while Ella got ready for the reception Rex was using his nervous energy to fuss over Evie.

"Rex, it's fine." Evie finally said.

"I'm sorry...I just want to do something."

"What the hell is wrong with you? I've never seen you this nervous. Are you like this before every date?"

"No, this is...different."

"Why?"

He glanced at her then winced and shook his head, he wasn't going to get into the dynamics of his relationship with her sister.

The door upstairs opened on creaking hinges and Evie stood, grabbing her crutches. She hurried into the entryway and the stairs her sister would come down. Rex hesitated and then followed her, focusing on the floor more than anything. He heard footsteps and forced his eyes to the stairs and woman coming down.

His throat went suddenly dry and a sharp pain ricocheted through his chest. He stared up at her, she was a goddess. Her red satin dressed hugged every curve on its way down her body that was normally hidden in office clothes.

"Holy shit," He murmured.

"You're drooling," Evie said with a grin.

Ella reached the bottom and he knew he should say something, something flirty and smooth but he couldn't find any words.

"I..." he swallowed and Ella offered him a timid smile.

"I wasn't sure about the color," She said softly.

"No...it's.." He trailed off again and Evie rolled her eyes.

"Real smooth Romeo."

He cleared his throat while Ella pulled on her shoes and Evie moved to the living room and collapsed onto the couch.

"Are we ready?" Ella asked.

"You look so...beautiful and..that seems like a really insignificant word for it." He said softly.

"Thank you sir."

He managed a nod and she turned to glance in at Evie.

"Behave, stay off that foot." Ella scolded.

"Okay, don't forget to eat your breakfast before you come home," Evie said with a wave.

"Evelyn!" Ella cried, her cheeks turning as red as her dress.

Rex choked back a laugh and then winked at Evie as Ella turned for the door, She gave him an enthusiastic thumbs up as he ducked out the door.

He followed Ella to his car and opened the door for her with a heavy sigh.

"I'm sorry I missed the wedding," She said as he climbed in.

"No, it's okay. Evie is more important."

She smiled and he pulled onto the street, they fell into a comfortable silence until they reached the lavish hotel that was hosting the reception in their lodge.

They stepped into the large ballroom, white round tables decorated fancy sat to one side and a large dance floor was in the middle. Ivan and Laurel were there dancing and holding each other like the world was ending.