Chapter Twelve.

"What do you think of this one?" Addison asked.

Laurel glanced up from the price tag she was reading to look at the red dress her sister was holding.

"Nah."

She shook her head and Addison returned the dress, this morning her sister had called her and begged her to go with her to the mall. claiming a kid-free day couldn't go to waste.

"So, how is staying in your old room? Mom and dad figure out anything yet with you and Ivan?"

"I don't think so but it's getting harder not to tell them the truth."

"Has mom or dad said anything?"

"Mom is noticing we aren't as affectionate as we used to be."

"I don't know why you're not, this is the perfect chance for you to be all over him with a valid excuse," Addison pointed out.

"I don't know what you're implying."

"I'm not implying I'm speaking plain English, you're still in love with Ivan and you could be using this opportunity to see if he feels the same way."

"I'm not still in love with Ivan," Laurel said, rolling her eyes.

"No?"

"No, I mean...I love him but I'm not in love with him anymore." Laurel studied a dress for a second then put it back on the rack.

"Bull shit, I know you better than you know yourself. My point is to enjoy this while you can because sooner or later you're going to go back to the way things really are. "

Laurel stared over the rack at her sister, she had a point. Biting her lip she tried to focus on shopping but Addison's words kept repeating in her head.

***************************************************************

Ivan was in the garage with Laurels dad, helping him work on the old Chevrolet that he had been restoring for as long as Ivan had known him.

"Home stretch, she should be running by the end of summer," Ivan said, closing the hood and wiping his hands on a rag.

"I think so, I hope to take it to the drive-ins at least once before the year is over."

"I'm glad I got to help you with this, it's been awhile since I've been this productive."

"I'm glad to have your help, I don't get around like I used too. Getting too old."

"You're in better shape than I am," Ivan teased.

"When I'm dead and gone, I'm leaving her to you." He said motioning at the car.

"No, don't...don't do that," Ivan said.

"Why not? Addison doesn't need a muscle car, Rex has so much money that he doesn't appreciate the old cars. Laurel has always liked it, she was always here helping me when she was a kid. I want you two to have it."

"Leave it to Laurel," Ivan said.

"Okay."

Her dad was putting away tools and when Ivan turned he saw Laurel crossing the yard. She looked nervous, her hands clenched into fists at her side, her stride quick and deliberate.

Concerned something might be wrong he hurried from the small garage, meeting her in the yard.

"Laurel..."

Before he could say anything else she grabbed him by his shirt pulled him against her and kissed him. Her lips pressing insistently against his, her body tight to his.

He didn't respond, at first, he was too shocked to do anything. His hands hung limply at his side and then after a second or two, he realized what he was missing. This was Laurel and she was kissing him and he was standing there like a statue.

The next instant his hands were framing her face and he was kissing her back passionately.

His thumb slipping under her chin to tip her head up for better access to her lips. She let out a soft muffled whimper when he started to respond but he wasn't about to stop now.

He couldn't be sure how long they stood in that yard, trying to devour one another but someone clearing their throat had them slowly pulling apart.

"What was that about?" he asked against her lips.

"I...I...just playing the part," She said with a shrug.

He gave a slow nod then leaned forward for a chaste kiss, pulling back to rest his forehead against hers.

"How was shopping?" He asked.

"It was great," Addison said from behind Laurel.

Laurel bit back a laugh before pulling away from him, his hand lingering just a minute longer than it should on her waist.

"Laurel, Addie, how was your day?" Their father asked, walking towards them.

"It was great Daddy, how was yours?" Addison asked.

"Just great, Ivan and I almost have the old girl up and running."

"That's fantastic," Laurel agreed.

"Why don't we all have dinner together?" Addison asked.

"Actually I was hoping Laurel and I could go out, just the two of us," Ivan said.

Laurel looked at him and he saw the confusion in her eyes and something else he couldn't quite place.

"Really?" She asked.

"Yeah."

"I...I would love that," She replied.

He smiled back at her and took a deep breath, it was't a date. They had ate together plenty of times since they got a divorce but this time felt different and he felt nervous.