Chapter Nineteen.

When Ivan finally came downstairs Laurel was in the kitchen with her mom, she was standing by the stove stirring something in a large pot. He hesitated a minute before walking over and giving her a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Smells good," He said.

"It's my famous chili."

"I didn't mean the chili," He mumbled in her ear.

She blushed a deep red color and he gave her a light swat on her butt before walking to sit down at the table with her mother.

"So, how are your day?" He asked her mom.

"Oh, fantastic. We got so many things ready for the wedding. I tried to call Rex but I'm afraid he was out of his office."

"I think he took Ella and her sister to lunch," Laurel said.

"Oh, how nice. I do wish he would settle down."

"Mom we both know that's not going to happen," Laurel replied.

Her mom sighed and went back to reading the paper that was in front of her, sipping her tea as Laurel chopped and minced vegetables dropping them in the pot.

"Will Dad be home for dinner?"

"I think so."

"How was you kids day today?" her mother asked.

Laurel couldn't fight the blush that crept up her cheeks and Ivan glanced away.

"It was nice," Laurel finally said.

"Good, sometimes it's good to be alone with your spouse."

Laurel turned the chili down and sat down at the table with Ivan and her mother just as the back door swung open again and Rex rushed in.

"Hi, sweetheart, here for dinner?" Their mother asked.

"No, I can't eat. I can't sleep, I can't work, I can't....I can't think!"

"Why? What on earth is wrong?" Their mother asked, obviously concerned.

"I learned something about Ella and now...I...I can't even look at her. I walked into the office and then I walked right back out. I can't be in the same building as her."

"Why?"

"I...her sister said that she might have feelings for me and I came by to talk to Laurel and Addie and they agreed."

"I don't see the problem, you're an attractive single man and Ella is a beautiful girl. I love her," His mother said.

"I don't love her and now I have to worry that everything I do I might be leading her on in some way."

Laurel rolled her eyes, her older brother was being ridiculous about the entire thing.

"I have a question for you," She said.

"What now Laurel?" He asked, exasperated.

"You have no feelings for Ella, none at all? Really?"

"Really, I...she's just a co-worker and a good friend. I think of her like a sister, like you or Addie."

"Okay, when is her birthday?" Laurel asked with a shrug.

"June 8th."

"When is mine?"

"Uh....September....sometime."

"May 6th," Ivan said shaking his head.

"What's your point?" Rex demanded.