three

GENEVIEVE WOKE UP the next morning to the sun filtering in her room. She had left the balcony doors open, and the white curtains lifted in the wind. It was a truly gorgeous day, and Petal made if even better by snuggling into her palm. The sunlight caressed her skin so gently, the wind blowing wisps of her hair back.

"It's such a beautiful day, Petal." She frowned, halting her fingers' movements in the kitten's fur. "If only I didn't have to go to college today." Peeling back her white bedspread with flower detailing, she clutched Petal to her chest. Genevieve swung her feet off the bed, only for them to make contact with the soft carpet.

Petal purred, turning onto its stomach, silently asking to be petted there. Genevieve giggled whimsically at the adorable kitten, thankful that she had found her the previous night. "But all is well, I guess. College isn't so bad, but wasting away such an amazing day in a stuffy room is."

Almost seeming to have understood Genevieve, Petal starting meowing softly. "My little snowball, you agree with me don't you? I'd hate to leave you here all day, but you have grandpa to keep you company." Genevieve bent down, placing Petal on the floor, shooing her out the door.

After Petal reluctantly exited her room, Genevieve decided that she would take a shower before classes. She usually showered while it was night, but she had been too tired to do that. Genevieve had hardly made it out of the car and into her satin nightie. She shivered slightly as she walked past the breeze that entered her room from the balcony. Not bothering to close them, she simply walked towards her bathroom.

• • •

After her shower, she changed into a light yellow sundress and a pair of white strapped sandals. Grabbing her white scrunchie, she pulled her hair back into a sloppy fishtail braid. She didn't bother with makeup, preferring to have a bare face.

Leaving her room, she cooed at Petal who had fallen asleep by her door. Bending down, Genevieve swooped the kitten into her arms. She relished in the feeling of her soft fur against her, feeling utterly grateful she had found the little bundle of joy.

Trying not to wake Petal up, Genevieve walked down the hallway to the staircase. Walking down the stairs, her shoes clapping lightly against the hardwood. Genevieve could hear her grandfather in the kitchen making her breakfast. She caught the scent of pancakes, her stomach growling at the delectable fragrance.

Strolling past the living room and mud-room, Genevieve entered the kitchen with a wide smile on her face. "Good morning, grandpa!" She gushed enthusiastically. He turned, sending his granddaughter a quick smile in response.

"What's on the agenda today?" He questioned as he handed her a plate of two pancakes and maple syrup. Genevieve placed Petal on the stool next to her as she took a seat. Her grandfather placed a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice to her.

Genevieve giggled, watching Petal yawn before turning to her grandfather. "Well, I have classes today. But only Psychology I and English." Grabbing the maple syrup, she doused her fluffy pancakes in the liquid.

Her grandfather chuckled, watching as the petite girl devoured the two pancakes in minutes. Sometimes he wondered where all those calories went, but decided not to dwell too hard on that. "I'm make sure to tell Clarissa about all the sugar you're eating, she deserves a fair warning about what she's about to deal with."

Genevieve looked up at her grandfather, glaring playfully. Despite the fact she was feigning anger, whenever she did she resembled an annoyed little kitten. It truly was pointless, no one could take her seriously when she was angry. "Very funny, grandpa." She began, standing from the stool and taking Petal into her arms. "Now, please take good care of Petal today." Genevieve nuzzled her nose against the kitten's before reluctantly handing her over to her grandfather.