ten

THIS WAS THE SECOND time Genevieve was forced to stare idly and longingly out the shop windows as Giovanni strutted away to his sleek car. She had no idea what brand it was, but she knew it must be expensive if he wore it.

She played with the material of her dress as she watched him drive away with sad eyes. She felt like a school girl, which she technically was, as she admired him. Giovanni was just everything she could have imagined in her Prince Charming, and yet so much more. Genevieve knew that he wasn't exactly a night in shining armor; she adored him but still could feel his dangerous aura. She was nervous around him at times, too. His dark eyes could possibly become so evil, it was a wonder he was attracted to her at all. Giovanni was not just fire, he was ice as well.

Genevieve couldn't help but daydream: what would it be like to fall in love with him? As cliche as it may be, she pictured herself in a white dress walking down the aisle to his dazzling smile. She could already feel her face heat up as she imagined other things, much dirtier things. Well, as mature as her innocent mind could think up.

She was broken out of her reverie by Mary's footsteps reaching her and her hand on her shoulder. "Genevieve, darling?" Mary shook Genevieve out of her little dazed trance and turned the young girl to look into her scrutinizing glance.

Genevieve blushed as Mary squinted her eyes in questioning. "Y-yes? Do you n-need any h-help?"

Mary stood silent for a moment as she stared the girl up and down. What could she be thinking? Genevieve worried that Mary, her dear Mary, was contemplating whether she wanted Genevieve around anymore. After her moment with Giovanni, Genevieve only hoped that Mary didn't think she was promiscuous acting as such with a man she hardly knew.

Genevieve's worry ended abruptly when Mary broke out into a fit of squealing and laughter. The entire cafe's attention was drawn to them and Genevieve felt herself crawl deeper into her shell. "When were you going to tell me you were speaking to a very handsome man? I demand answers Genevieve; who was that gorgeous man?"

She smiled shyly with a dazed look in her eyes that Mary nearly fawned over. Her little Genevieve was growing up so quickly. "W-well, his name is Giovanni. H-he..."

Mary cut Genevieve off with a boisterous laugh. "Giovanni, aye? What an alluring name for an equally alluring man." She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively while gently nudging her. "Does your grandfather know about him? I sure hope he does for your sake, don't want gramps getting fired up that his little baby is moving on."

Genevieve swallowed, "H-he k-knows, Mary. I-I told him yesterday." Mary continued staring at her, her eyes filled with questioning.  It was almost as if she was nonverbally asking if he approved or not.  "He took it really well.  I think that m-maybe this might be it for me."  She pauses and thought of Gio's warm smile that gave her butterflies beyond measure.  "I hardly know him, Mary, but he makes me feel so happy and wanted.  I-I don't feel like a s-stupid and scared g-girl around him; he m-makes me feel special."

Mary smiled softly as she brushed strands of Genevieve's hair back from her cherub face. "I hope you will introduce me to this mystery man soon, Genevieve. If he makes you feel the way Jason makes me feel, then I'm fine with my little darling finding company outside of here."

Genevieve smiled thankfully and pulled Mary into a hug. "It's so soon for me to be experiencing these e-emotions, b-but Giovanni is e-everything I could every want and m-more." She sniffled emotionally as she began to softly cry in deep happiness and gratefulness. "It means s-so m-much that you e-except w-whatever this is."

Mary rubbed the girl's back lovingly, almost in a maternal nature—her son may be young, but she was in her late thirties, so she could come across as a mother to the nineteen year old.  "Don't fret, I'll always support you if you follow your heart."  Mary backed away, brushing away Genevieve's tears and batting away her own.  "Now, help a woman out and man the kitchen while I help customers."