Chapter 17

"The bigger you are, the harder you fall. You had it all."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LEORAN'S POV

(after the assembly)

I sat there frozen to my seat. I couldn't blink or move and my mouth was wide open. I was in a state of shock. I couldn't believe what just played out in front of me. Every student, teacher and staff member of this school just saw me get rejected by Aaron, but even worse, now they all know my true colours.

Everybody knows me for who I really am. I can't pretend to be the nice perfect popular girl. Everybody has seen me do the things I have done. There is no more pretending.

Everybody was starring at me and whispering. They didn't even try to be quiet about it. They were all calling me awful names and saying incredibly mean things about me. I really shouldn't have been upset because they are all saying things that I have said about them in the past.

Eventually, their words became to much and I gained control of my body enough to run out of that room. I ran to the girls washroom and collapsed on the floor. I was crying so hard.

The door opened behind me and it was my cheer leading squad. Of course my girls would come check on me. I had been their captain since freshman year.

All the hope of sympathetic hugs and getting told "it's going to be okay" washed away as soon as I saw the look on their faces. It wasn't sympathy, it was hatred. Had that look always been there?

"So it looks like there is a little problem here." said Elise, my assistant captain. I knew she always hated me and I had a feeling I knew what was coming next.

"The girls and I had a vote and we decided that we can't have a captain like you. We need a captain that has not just talent but honesty and a loving heart. That's just not you anymore. Actually, it never really was. I will be taking your role as captain and you're off the squad."

Then they all turned around and left. A little redhead turned to me and said in the most quiet and honest voice "I'm really sorry Leoran. I voted to keep you."

I didn't even want her to be on the squad because of her hair but now she was still being nice. I didn't even know that girls name. It was Rachel.

I flashed her a quick smile and said thank you then she ran out of the washroom to catch up with the squad. Her squad. It's not my squad anymore. Then it hit me. Now, I have no popularity, no cheer leading squad and worst of all, nobody that cares about me.

Now I understood how I made other people feel, how I made Naia feel.

Naia! I knew what I had to do. I had to go apologize to Naia. It wouldn't fix everything but it was a start.

I ran through the halls like a crazy person but I couldn't find her anywhere. Everybody was staring at me all over again but this time it was because they thought I was insane. Right when I was about to give up, I saw Naia run into that same girls washroom that I was just in moments ago. "now or never" I said to myself.

I walked up to the washroom door and pushed it open slowly. I could hear the same heart wrenching tears that were coming out of me a little while ago. Now I knew how it felt.

Naia didn't even look up as the door closed behind me and I sat beside her.

"Um, Naia, are you okay?" I was hesitant because obviously Naia and I didn't have the greatest relationship but now that I have had a taste of my own medicine, I can see things a different way.

naia lifted her head. she had tears running down her face with smudged mascara mixed in. she was a mess. 

"come on leoran. we both know that you don't care. just leave me alone."

Naia sounded so tired. So defeated. I had to help her. I put my arm around her even though we definitely were not on those terms. When I was on this same bathroom floor crying, all I wanted was for somebody to put their arm around me. But nobody did.

"Look Naia, I know that we aren't really close, mostly because I was an absolutely awful person to you, and to a lot of other people. But i'm here and I would like to help you. Please, let me help you."

The old Leoran would never beg, especially to help somebody else, but this is the new Leoran and i'm going to make her count.

Naia looked me in the eyes and I held her gaze. I could tell she was unsure but she must have seen the sincerity in my eyes because she told me what happened. She told me everything that happened right from the beginning. The beginning that I caused. None of this would have happened if I had never kissed Aaron. If I had left them alone, they would still be in each others arms. I had to help.

While I was thinking of what to do to help Naia, the p.a system went on. 

"All students please report back to the gym. Now"

Principal Downey didn't sound happy at all. His voice sounded stiff and angry with a bit of betrayal but most of all sadness.

I stood up with Naia and helped her get cleaned up. Her face was all red and covered in smudged make up so I went to my locker while she washed the old make up off. I got my makeup bag and met her back in the washroom. While I was re-applying her makeup, we talked about the announcement and what could possibly be going on.

"Do you think it has to do with Aaron and Anderson?" Naia asked me, her voice filled with worry.

I didn't want to worry her so I just shrugged and said "you never know."

Naia and I made our way to the gym. People stared at us. I'm sure they were wondering why Naia, every bodies new favorite person, was talking to me, the person everybody hates and was betrayed by.

Naia must have seen the look on my face because she whispered to me that it would be okay and that everybody would come around. But I knew that she was just doing what I did to her when she asked about Aaron and Anderson.

We walked into the gym and saw principal Downey standing at the front pacing back and forth. Aaron wasn't there. We took a seat at the back and waited for the assembly to start.

After all the students piled in, principal Downey lifted the mic and cleared his throat.

"I'm sure you are all wondering why I gathered you here again. Well, it's because there has been an incident with two students in this school and I would like to know what's going on."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note,

i know i said the ambulance and police would come in this chapter but i wanted to bring Leoran back in first. anyway, thank you sooooooooo much for 100 votes. i have been hoping to get to 100 for so long! thank you!

PREVIEW OF THE NEXT CHAPTER

-the ambulance and police show up for real this time ;)