How You Make Friends

Shiemi POV:

I woke up leaning against Rin's shoulder, which was shaking for some reason. Right, he was laughing with Aki. It was loud and clear once I took my earbuds out.

I could hear them chattering away, snickering at things being shown on Aki's phone. Every few seconds they would throw their heads back, cackling away. People from all around stared at them in disbelief, not able to process the presence of two mature-looking teenagers disturbing public transportation like how they did.

They probably didn't care. Neither did I. I rolled my eyes while giggling myself and went back to sleep next to Rin.

The train stopped with a jolt just as I shut my eyes and plugged back into my music once more. I shot up into a sitting position, taking out my earbuds and looking around.

Rin and Aki stood up and both cramped up at the same time. We've been riding for over an hour. We were bound to be sore and cramped after standing. What I need is a good stretch.

"Home sweet home," Rin exclaimed, his back arched and stretching his arms. Aki let out a monstrosity of a yawn before leaning over to touch his toes to loosen his legs.

I decided to stand up slowly in order to not make my legs spasm in cramps. A yawn escaped my throat as well and I covered my mouth with my hands. I stretched my arms, back, and legs as Rin and Aki chatted a bit more.

"Didn't you guys leave your car at the hospital?" I asked them, suddenly realizing this.

"Shura's driving it back," Aki told me. "Such a nice lady."

"Sure..." Rin said sarcastically.

All three of us hopped off of the train and onto the concrete floor of the station. Everyone else still remaining on the train audibly breathed a sigh of relief as we exited.

"So, are we walking home from here?" Aki asked.

"It's only a couple miles."

"Won't take more than forty minutes."

So the three of us set foot on the grass covering the outside world in a blanket of greenery. Suddenly, Rin collapsed into the ground, sighing heavily and practically hugging the world. Aki followed suit, flopping down to embrace the grass. The coolness of the night chilled our skin.

"Shit, you don't appreciate the outdoors until you've been penned up in a moving train with Seiya and friends, huh?" Rin said, cheek pressed against the cold grass, muffling his words.

"Agreed, man," Aki responded.

I laughed at them, both stroking the ground like creeps, making the exact same perverted face as a joke. My hysterical laughter caused my stomach to hurt.

We were all in a good mood. That was surprising, considering what happened earlier today.

So as we all walked back down the sidewalk and through True Cross Academy, none of us could resist the urge to smile, or so laugh, or so spread their positive vibes off to others. Our emotions were irresistible. Our joyousness was uncontrollable. And I liked it.

I have friends. I finally have friends after fifteen long years of waiting, praying, and socializing. After a life of trying to reach out to people, trying to interact, and never getting anywhere, I had finally made friends simply because I had run into someone walking to P.E.

Rin probably could get any friend he wanted. I've always wondered how some people can do that. They don't even try, and people cling to them like dog hair to a couch. Even in P.E. class all the boys wanted him on their team, and even the girls were asking him out on dates.

Such a cruel world we live in. Sometimes life just isn't fair.

But this moment, this period of my life, and these few days I've spent with Rin and Aki and Sakura and Miku, have been the best days ever. Despite the troubles, the wounds we've received and the tears we shed, these days have been full of wonder and joy. And I couldn't ask for anything more.

Aki pointed to a tall building near to where we were. "That's where you guys will be 'sleeping' if you know what I mean. And that's where I'm going to be joining you as a third wheel." Aki nudged Rin in the arm.

Rin stared at Aki out of the corner of his eye. I laughed some more.

"Why don't we have a sleepover?" I asked, clapping my hands together. "We can invite Sakura over and we'll crash together."

Aki fake-gasped, then grinned. "Hell yeah! I'd totally chill with you guys and indulge in some of Rin's fabulous cooking. Right?" He nudged Rin in the elbow again.

"If I'm chef, be prepared to have your palettes burned off by flavor." Rin kissed his thumb and index finger and threw his hand up into the air. "Get ready to try the best......"

Wait, what was Rin supposed to cook? Even I didn't know. What did people eat at this hour at night?

Speaking of which... "Anyone know what time it is?" I asked.

Rin took out his phone and checked. "Um...almost 3 in the morning."

"What do people eat at three in the morning?"

Rin thought for a second. "People shouldn't even be eating at all at this hour. Anyone have any ideas for food?"

"Ooh!" Aki exclaimed. "Bake a cake!"

I grinned. "Ooh! Make it chocolate!"

Aki smirked. "It's Sakura's birthday in two days. We should celebrate tonight."

"Prepare yourselves," Rin told us. "I'll make the best damn birthday cake you've ever eaten!"

"We'll believe it when we try it," Aki said. "It better be good, or you don't get any."

"What sense does that make?" Rin questioned.

I laughed. "So how should we invite Sakura?" I finally asked.

Aki almost immediately responded. "She told me she's never asleep before 4 am on weekends. We still have an hour to call her."

Rin snickered and punched Aki in the bicep. "How much did you guys talk last night? You seem to know much about her. A little too much."

Suddenly Aki clutched his arm with his other hand and groaned in pain. "Damn, man, a friendly sock to the arm is supposed to be light! I feel like you fucking obliterated my muscle with that punch!"

Rin started cracking up, and so did I. Aki continued to tend to his arm.

"It's not funny!" he told us as he tried to stifle laughter of his own.

This was gonna be a great sleepover.

Thank you for reading the thirty-second chapter of my story! I thought this entire scene was just ADORABLE. Hugs, leaning on each other, smiles and laughter are literally my favorite things in a couple and in friends for some reason. I mean, I have friends who are all like 'people who cry are so cute!' (you know who you are if you read this). I cracked up and was like 'wtf u psychopath!!' Kidding though. But anywho if you like this story, please vote, comment, and follow my profile and I update every day!