How It All Happened

Shiemi POV:

I don't know how in the world it happened.

We were sitting, listening to Rin's steady breathing of sleep. It made me miss his feeling of love, his warmth and comfort, and regret ever saying what I said to him.

I can't believe it. We had been so compatible.  So in love. So blinded by love. And then I had to go and ruin it all.

I still have no idea what came over me. Possibly a feeling of stress? I couldn't tell. But I could see my love and my past crush fighting internally, and something, something terrible washed over me like a tsunami.

Which is why I had mentioned Father Fujimoto. To see if he would take it as something sad and memorable, or lash out in anger.

I didn't mean to! My sense of judgement was impaired. But that's no excuse for what I did. I deserve what I'm getting. Which is why I cried. I cried and cried until I could cry no more.

And that's when Yukio came to our rescue.

Looking at him was like remembering something forgotten a long time ago. Like reminiscing about perfection. He was so....brand new. Something I had an image of vaguely in my mind. But it was better now.

I had fallen in love again.

I couldn't keep recalling the love I shared with Rin. He would never love me again. It's true. I had to move on as fast as humanly possible. It may have been psychosomatic to my feelings of moving on or it could be because I have absolutely no heart. But either way, my emotions flustered as I saw him, standing outside of our jail cell.

The rest of the story escalated quicker than anything. We hopped into his car, and Rin immediately fell into a deep slumber. His brother laughed. It was nice to see them get along again. He explained, although I already knew, how deeply Rin slept and you could carry him and not wake him up.

It seems he already knew about our 'breakup.' I don't know how he heard about it. The cops may have told him, or he just inferred so. It was blatant that the information had reached him some how, regardless.

We drove down the road, listening to soft acoustic music on the radio. I kept looking forward out of the windshield, trying to decipher the emotions I sensed in my heart.

But then, a hand was placed on my knee.

Yukio had pulled alongside the road, stopping the car. The music continued on. I looked at Yukio, confused.

"A-are you alright, Yukio?" I asked him.

He lowered his head. "I'm sorry about you and my brother. And if you ever need anything..."

Just then, at that exact moment, I leaned over and placed my lips on his.

It wasn't like Rin, and his open passion and sweetness. Yukio was more refined, more polite. Rin was carefree and Yukio was not. So this kiss, that I hoped would replace some of the pain and emptiness I felt in my heart, did not. It simply masked it, filled it with something completely different. Something....strange.

Yukio didn't pull away. This was weird. This wasn't like him. He had never liked a girl, never had a girlfriend or ever showed any interest in romance with anyone, let alone me. But he kissed me back.

I began to get worried and jolted away instantly. "W-what's wrong with you?!"

Why was I asking him that? I'm the one who initiated the kiss. He didn't do anything but reciprocate.

"I've liked you," he began. "For the past few days now."

I was shocked. "W-what?"

"Ever since you and Rin...encountered. I'm ashamed." He folded his hands in his lap. "I was ashamed to like the same person he so obviously liked, right when he liked her."

I flushed with red. This was sudden. Unexpected. But just as I was about to scream, he leaned over again and planted another kiss on my lips.

We broke off after a few seconds. "It's strange," he told me. "I've never felt this way about a girl before. Never."

Another kiss was initiated. It took longer to end this time. But now, now that I knew his true intentions, I didn't want it to end.

I wanted to run away. To leave what happened with Rin behind. I was embarrassed. Ashamed at myself for pushing him away like this. But the faster I do, the faster I will stop feeling this sense of loneliness building up inside of me.

So I kissed him back. I kissed him back like my life depended on it. Because in a way, my life did depend on it. My emotional state was at stake.

He gently held my hands in his own. It was so drastically different from what I felt with Rin. So exotic. With Rin, I could feel his passion. He wouldn't have kissed me so...respectfully. Even if it was gentle. I knew that about him.

I was kissing Yukio. But why did I imagine kissing Rin? Even though it felt so different, my wishes and true emotions got in the way of reality. Does that make me terrible? That I still sort of wanted Rin to be holding me? To be the one my lips are locked with?

I heard him mutter the words 'I love you' down in his throat. I wanted to say it back. I tried to.

"I love you, Rin," was all that I thought about. If I tried, I couldn't say anything else.

I was so confused. I want to stop loving Rin now! I have to move on! I thought I loved Yukio now! I thought I had already moved on like I wished! But now that I'm kissing another pair of lips, my true feelings were obvious.

"Yukio? Shiemi?" Someone suddenly whispered in the back seat.

And my world fell apart once more.

Thank you for reading the forty-ninth part of this story! Just so you all know, I don't ship Shiemi and Yukio, so writing this chapter sort of disturbed me. I don't think Yukio would actually do something like this. And I think I'm sort of portraying Shiemi as smarter and more confident than she actually is (which sounds offensive, I'm sorry). But anywho, please vote, comment, and follow my profile and I update every day!