4

Remi slammed her laptop shut in frustration as she rubbed the heel of her hands into her sleepy eyes. Two days had passed since she had arrived at the cabin and she had hit the backspace button on her computer so much that she worried the letters on the key would be worn off before she even had a single paragraph on the screen.

"This is ridiculous," she muttered and decided to give up on working for the time being. Instead, she headed into the kitchen for some coffee. She had let herself slip the other day and opened up to Ender but she would not make that mistake again. She had made it a point to avoid Ender as much as she could after he had buttered her up with coffee and pancakes the first morning, "Not gonna work, buddy. You can be charming all you want. You'd have better luck---"

"I would have better luck doing what?" Ender came up behind her to reach around and grab a coffee mug from the cabinet, "Thanks for making some coffee. The smell woke me up."

"Could you please stop sneaking up on me like that. This is at least the tenth time in two days." Remi slid around him and left the kitchen, trying to put some distance between herself and Ender. Unfortunately, it had seemed like as soon as she made her mind up to steer clear of him, he had made his mind up to make sure she couldn't. 

"Sorry, just wanted some coffee. My bad." Ender filled up a mug and leaned against the kitchen counter as he blew on the hot liquid before he took his first sip.

Remi turned to make a comment but was caught off guard by the way he looked leaning against the counter with his low slung flannel pajama bottoms on and his hair rumpled from sleep.

"Can I help you with something or are you going to keep window shopping?" Ender asked with a grin.

"Ugh!" Remi stomped out of the room, mad that she had been caught admiring the view, "Can I please just be left alone? Is that really too much to ask."

Ender let her leave and finished his cup of coffee while staring out the window looking at the mountains. He almost felt a little bad that she was so bothered by him, but he was just being friendly. If they were going to stay in this cabin together for 2 weeks, they may as well get to know each other and spend some time together. Also, he had to admit it was cute to see her squirm when he found a way to get under her skin.

The door to the cabin opened and was quickly slammed shut. He walked into the living room which overlooked the back patio and saw her just as she sank down into the hot tub.

Ender knew he should probably leave her alone, but he also wanted the chance to get inside that mind of hers. He had stayed up late reading her first novel and he saw a lot of the same qualities in her female character that he was witnessing in her right now.