12

"Ender, seriously brother....just go. If you don't walk out that door right now, I'm calling Dansby and we are staging an intervention."

Ozzie sat in their hotel room in Miami watching cartoons the next morning. Cartoons were his guilty pleasure and if he could get Ender to leave, he would probably order a bowl of Lucky Charms from room service and stay right where he was the rest of the morning.

"Ok, but do I look okay?" Ender came out of the bathroom wearing some jeans and a white tee, a black cardigan over it because it was semi-cool in Miami that morning. Ender seriously had to thank God for his friends, who clearly had only the best for him in their hearts. Turns out they were always going to wind up in Miami. The fact that he had wanted to stop and pick up Remi's book just worked right into their plan. Dansby had done his research and found out that Remi would be having a book signing put on by her publishing company that next morning and he and Ozzie were going to make sure that Ender made it to that signing.

"You look fine. Muy guapo. Now go, and don't come back until this is all fixed."

Ender left the hotel, driving through an area of Miami he wasn't very familiar with. His hands were sweating as he gripped the steering wheel and he missed 5 turns that his GPS told him to make before he finally made it.

"Okay, Ender, this is it. You love her. That is the only thing that matters." He closed his eyes and said two little prayers, one to God and one to his dad.

When he walked into the room where the signing was to take place, he immediately looked to the table where he assumed Remi would be sitting. She was not there yet so he continued to search the room, his eyes finally landing on her boss Andrea. He headed her way, hoping she remembered him from their brief encounter at the cabin.

"Well, it's about time you showed up." Andrea smiled and Ender breathed a sigh of relief. If Andrea's reception of him was positive, then surely that meant there was still hope. He fidgeted with the sleeves of his cardigan, unsure of what to say or how to proceed. "Don't be shy, after reading that book I feel like I practically know you, so we are no longer strangers."

"Can I...." Ender's voice was shaky and he had not felt this nervous since his first major league game. "Can I see her?"

Andrea nodded and opened the door that she was standing in front of, motioning her head to tell him to go ahead in. "Go get your girl. She isn't expecting you but she needs you."

------------

Ender followed a long hallway until he heard voices, one male and one female. The female voice he instantly recognized and his heart dropped. Remi was in the room with a man. Surely Andrea didn't send him back to just to have his heart stomped on. He leaned against the wall, feeling only slightly guilty to be eavesdropping on their conversation.

"Colin, why are you even here? You have absolutely nothing to do with this." So it was Colin, the infamous ex-boyfriend. The man....no, Ender wouldn't even call him a man. The scum who put her through so much trauma that she had put up a defense so thick that it took Ender two weeks to even scratch the surface. He felt physically sick even thinking about what Colin had done to Remi.

"I have everything to do with this. Don't you ever forget that. Or do I need to remind you?" Colin hissed and Ender felt his blood boil. Why was Remi even allowing him to be near her? Surely she had not gone back to him. "You are where you are today because of me, you understand that?"