5

A few hours had passed and Ender had managed to calm Remi down enough to where she'd fallen asleep against him. He was laid back against the arm of the couch, and she was settled in between his legs, her head rested against his chest. She was asleep and had been for the past hour. He lazily let his fingers brush through her hair as he admired her features. Ender had never seen her as relaxed as she was at the moment, and he had to admit, it looked good on her.

The fire was burning and gave a soft glow. The warmth in the room wasn't all from the flames inside the fireplace, though. Ender was sure her laying against him was the best position he'd been in, in quite some time. He shifted slightly so one arm would lay around her mid-section. He laid his head back and felt himself begin to drift off.

He couldn't have been asleep too long when he heard the soft call of his name and felt fingers trail down his cheek, "Hmmm?" He shifted as he tried to open his eyes.

"Hey, Ender-" She kept her voice low, "The power must be out because the lamp is off and I don't hear the fridge running."

"Oh," He yawned and stared at her for a moment. He wasn't going to make her move, she'd have to do that on her own, "I can go check it-"

She met his gaze through the darkness, the fire had nearly burned itself out, but it cast a dim shadow over the room. It took her a minute to realize he couldn't move and she nervously jumped back, "Right, you um, want me to come and hold the light or?"

"No, it's outside. You stay here and stay warm," He pulled the throw from the back of the couch off and wrapped it around her shoulders, "I don't need you getting sick on me. You've got a book to write."

"Don't remind me," She mused. It was strange, but she felt oddly at peace. She wanted to resist, but part of her was too tired to be a rebel. Not to mention, she had made a fool of herself earlier, "Then again, I can't write with the power out. My laptop battery dies quickly, I never got it replaced."

He smiled down at her and shrugged, "Or you just want to spend time with me instead. You can admit it. I won't get the big head.. I'm a humble guy."

She avoided his gaze and toyed with the strings on the woven throw that rested on her shoulders. There was nothing she could say to that without embarrassing herself, so she opted to not respond to the comment at all, "You better go, before we freeze."

Ender doubted that would happen, but refrained from making a remark that may make her feel uncomfortable, "Volveré enseguida."

She watched him open the door and struggle to get past the snow that had blown up against the side of the cabin. In a matter of hours, nearly a foot had fallen, and it was still coming down. She didn't think there was any way to get a forecast, seeing as to how the signal was even more non-exsistant due to the deteriorating weather conditions, but she could bet it was a blizzard of sorts. With a heavy sigh, she laid her head back and allowed herself to think. How had she gotten here, honestly? He caused reactions in her she didn't know she could have. The feelings he brought to the surface were ones she thought were long lost. Yet still, the thought of allowing someone in scared her so much it physically made her sick.

"I can't do anything until morning," Ender shook the wet snow off him and slid his jacket off and moved closer to where she sat, "I'm going to go change, and I'll be back-" He frowned when she didn't respond, "Hey, pretty girl, Ya vuelvo!"