10

A few hours after she said good-bye to Ender, Remi stared out of the plane window as they flew high above the clouds. She had promised herself she would not cry.

"Remi, dear, let's go over some things you've missed. We have a lot to catch up on...." Andrea meant well, but Remi needed time to grieve. She put her earbuds in and tuned Andrea out, as she no doubt kept talking a million miles an hour.

Had she make the wrong decision? She shook her head and forgot she was on a plane of people who probably thought she was looney. She had made the right decision. Ender didn't fit in her life and she didn't fit in his. She would end up like Andrea one day, which is what Andrea had planned all along. Working a job that left little time for a personal life, one that was so full of meetings and deadlines that there was no time to remember how lonely you were.

Ender was meant for a lifetime of happiness. That morning in front of the Christmas tree, she could picture him surrounded by a family. She wasn't sure she would even know how to really and truly be a part of something like that. He deserved better.

So here she was on a plane somewhere over Georgia as she headed back to Miami to begin the whirlwind that would be releasing her second novel. Georgia. Ender had said he played for the Braves, they were located in Atlanta, which by chance, was in Georgia.

Remi pulled up her phone and quickly connected to the in-flight WiFi, thankful that there was such a thing these days. A quick Google search provided all of the information she needed. Ender was telling the truth, he was actually a professional baseball player, and according to the news articles her search had pulled up, a pretty good one.

Remi had to laugh at herself. She had spent two weeks with a professional athlete and it had been the best two weeks of her life. She leaned back in her seat again and to recall every little moment. Sure, she had left Ender back on the mountain in their cabin with no plans to continue what they had started, but she knew she never wanted to forget even a second of their time together.

—————

"So, you let her leave?" Ozzie reached across Ender to grab the salt and pepper. As soon as Ender had gotten back into town, he had texted him to see if he wanted to hang. He had a lot on his heart and really wanted to talk about it, and he and Ozzie had become pretty close this past season.

Ender sighed as he ran his hands through his hair. He had relived that moment over and over again, the whole drive back to Atlanta. Had he been right to let her leave without telling her how he really felt? Sure, he had expressed interest and there was definitely a physical attraction, but he had not said the words point blank.

He loved her.

"Ozzie, if I had chased after her she would have still fled. She's guarded. Rightfully so, she has been through a lot. She used work as her excuse, but I think it's deeper than that. She is still scared. I'm not letting her go forever, though. I just have to time it right. "

Ozzie picked up the ticket the waitress had left. He had never seen Ender like this, the least he could do was buy the lovestruck man dinner, "Okay, brother. I understand that. But just know, when it comes time to go get your girl, I'm always down for a road trip to Miami."

Ender headed home after their dinner, exhausted from driving. It had felt good to get everything off of his chest though. And it sure beat talking to himself, which is what he had done on the drive home. He thought about Remi and wondered what she was doing at that very minute. He thought about going to sleep that night without her body beside him and an ache started forming in his chest. He rubbed the area with his hand but knew that it wasn't physical pain that was causing the feeling. It was a hole that could only be filled by his snow angel, who was hundreds of miles away.