Chpater 6

Naruto knew that he wasn't the brightest kid in their batch, heck, even Kiba got decent grades than him. He did try to catch up with everyone else and the Old man was kind enough to spare him a bit of his time in his usually busy schedule to teach, but he knew it wasn't enough. It just might be because he really was an idiot as the academy instructors had so graciously reminded him every single day, so it really wasn't a surprise that he decided to retaliate via pranking. Although it still hurt him to hear, that vicious tightening in his chest as he watch them sneer and call him a monster, the way they looked at him in disgust with thinly veiled murder behind their cold stares.

Everyone in the village hated him, had their own ways to drive him away from them. The only ones who didn't seem to act that way was the Old man Third Hokage, Tuechi and his daughter Ayame, and sometimes even that mysterious ANBU with the dog mask that visited him occasionally.

For a moment, he felt happy, but he knew there was that lingering feeling that was at the back of his mind that continued to plague him. He knew it was a bit selfish, but he couldn't stop the feeling. He remembered those days where he sat alone on that swing in front of the Academy, watching the other kids enviously with their parents as they walked home hand in hand. He dreamt of having parents too someday, but then, he realized bitterly, why would anyone like a monster to be their son?

Until Iruka came along.

Naruto could only gawk in surprise at the scarred Academy instructor. The man was the only one who treated him differently, the only one who actually smiled at him if he did something remotely good. Iruka praised him for doing a good job and scolded him for pranking or disrupting class. He was the only one, except for the Hokage and the Father-Daughter at his favourite ramen stand that acknowledged his existence.

So when he had received his forehead protector, graduating the Academy at last, he had never felt so ecstatic and tearful at once. After all, he widely switched from being obnoxiously annoying to heartbreakingly lonely, more so on the former.

He felt like he was floating on cloud nine until he reached the classroom one last time so he would know the team he would be assigned to. Not even the disbelieving reactions he recieved when he told them he really did graduate, but not all good things would last. Even that small moment of bliss shattered when Iruka announced he would be in the same team as Sasuke fucking Uchiha.

He really did hate the stoic bastard, thinking he was better than everyone else. He treated them so poorly, but that was okay, Naruto was used to such gestures. Though what had really grated his nerves was how he treated Sakura like trash. Couldn't the bastard see that the girl absolutely loved him? If it were him, he would have reciprocated the feelings, but he knew no such thing would happen. No one would love him, a class clown, an orphan, a monster.

Naruto did quietly lament, after spending a whole month with the Uchiha, that it wasn't so bad. He was still a stuck up bastard, but it toned down a little. They even developed a rivalry of sorts when they took the mission to Wave and wasn't that such a great impact as their first real mission as Genin?

That wasn't the point. What he really noticed though was the sudden change of air the Uchiha had around himself lately. The Uchiha always had an air of arrogance, an "I'm-better-than-all-of-you-losers" aura cloaked around him. That's what always pissed him about the bastard back in the Academy and in the following weeks as a team. Then, quite suddenly, the aura around him changed on that day when Kakashi gave them their Chunin exam permits.

The aura around the Uchiha felt quite melancholy now. He practically wore it around himself like a cloak, the feeling of complete loneliness and depression, even with a hint of insanity with it. Naruto felt how dead inside the Uchiha was, how much he was like an empty shell. It honestly made him feel sick. He didn't know what had changed the Uchiha, but he knew he was going to investigate about it, no matter what. After all, Naruto Uzumaki didn't know the concept of quiting.

With that resolve, he let out a battle cry, finally coming out the thick dense of trees and entering a small clearing. His blue eyes caught the eyes of Sasuke and Sakura, looking at him in shock and relief. He landed in front of them, watching the she-man snake thing wearily.

"How interesting," The she- no he - no something whispered, staring at Naruto with interest. "The fox child has come to save the day. It would be a bonus to have you along with the Last Uchiha."

It took all of Naruto's willpower not to shudder, disgusted with how the thing practically purred. He went into a defensive stance, bringing out a kunai. Honestly, he didn't expect that they would run into another team, people from another country they barely had background knowledge about no less! He actually expected to face off with Kiba and his team or probably those sand siblings. 

"Naruto," Sasuke whispered beside him.

He didn't bother turning to look at his raven-haired team mate, his eyes trained at the weird snake she-man in front of him. He did give a quiet grunt to indicate that he was listening.

"Will you be able to hold of against him while Sakura and I deal with these small fry?" Sasuke questioned, already knowing the blonde ninja's answer.

Naruto scoffed, briefly casting an annoyed look at Sasuke. "Are you kidding me? I'm the great Uzumaki Naruto, future Hokage of Konohagakure, and the one who's going to beat your sorry ass. Of course I can take him on."

Sasuke smirked, tensing when the enemy began moving. "I knew you would say that."

"I suggest we talk later, they're about to attack." Sakura reminded the two, giving them a glare that Sasuke had only seen her use when she had declared she was going to kill him back then.

They stayed silent, the sounds of the birds overhead could only be heard. A tense silence fell, their guards up, all their muscles tense with anticipation and as if hearing a silent incentive they all moved to attack. Metal clashed against metal.

Finally, the battle was about to begin.

[][][][][][][][[][][][][]

A/N: Yeah, long time no see! I gotta admit, I know I haven't updated for a while and really, I blame all this projects, quizzes, and assignments. It's practically hard finding a bit of spare time but luckily I found some and decided to update. I just love you guys! So, you know the drill, comment and vote are appreciated!