Chapter 8

Sakura Haruno would like to think that she was relatively normal. Compared to all of the other crazy shinobi's that have experienced some kind of traumatic event or they had slowly spiraled down into madness, she counted herself lucky, being raised by her civilian parents.

Heck, she didn't even want to become a kunoichi in the first place. She only had simple dreams at the beginning. She wanted to continue her parents' work as merchants once she grows up, find someone she could spend the rest of her life with, settle down, have kids, and a cozy home outside of the village. After that, once she grows old and wrinkly, she would spend the remaining days of her life living in quiet contentment.

Until, of course, she met Ino as a kid.

She was the only one from the other kids who didn't make fun of her abnormally huge forehead. Ino befriended her for herself and didn't listen to any of the things the other kids would have said. It was the first time Sakura felt comfortable with someone and it was the first time someone really wanted to become her friend.

After that, they started hanging out by the time by the field, talking or making flower crowns for each other. It was the time that Sakura would always look forward too until that day arrived.

"...You're leaving?" Sakura asked, her voice oddly choked. She could feel tears welling up in her eyes, but she refused to cry in front of her dear friend.

Ino seemed oblivious to her friend's current state, nodding enthusiastically at her with a wide smile plastered on her face. "Yup," she chirped, bouncing on the balls of her feet, "I'm going to be entering the Academy soon and become a Kunoichi!"

Sakura felt a lump in her throat having conflicting feelings about her only friend leaving her. A part of her felt genuinely happy for Ino, knowing how hard life could be for a shinobi, but another part, her more selfish side, didn't want the pale blonde to leave her and become lonely again.

She placed a strained smile, hoping to the highest of Gods that Ino didn't notice. "T-That's great Ino! I'll be rooting for you!"

Ino smiled, thanking her, not even noticing anything wrong with Sakura and it hurt. It felt like something had stabbed her all over and it hurt so much. She couldn't breath properly. After that, they proceeded to make flower crowns as usual.

Sakura decided she needed to do something about it. She didn't want to be left alone again.

When school finally arrived, she didn't say anything to Ino. She felt absolutely nervous, sitting in the third seat middle row, never even having a bit of experience. Finally, after what she thought was hours, Ino finally arrived along with two boys she didn't recognize behind her.

Thinking back now, it was a bit gratifying to see the shocked look on Ino's face when she had spotted her. But she was happy. She was able to continue her friendship with the blonde without any problems and the lessons in the academy were interesting to say the least. There, she decided, she really wanted to be the greatest Kunoichi.

That resolve didn't last long though, as somewhere along the line, she lost her purpose and chose to chase after a boy instead. She had never liked a boy so much in her entire life but she did, she liked - or even loved - the brooding enigmatic Sasuke Uchiha.

She didn't take her lessons as seriously anymore, she was too preoccupied in her fantasies of becoming Uchiha Sakura. She had this idea, all of his fangirls really, that he became such a cold person because of that incident and it was hee duty to melt that cold heart of his. It seemed such a romantic idea, but looking at it now, it had been an foolish thought. Trying to shower Sasuke with affection, taking care of her appearance, watching over her diet, and neglecting her lessons to become a serious Kunoichi, it only served to deter him away from her.