Chapter 9

A/N: Finally! After these last months, I'm able to update this story again. Just a bit of filler chapter before the start of the final one! I hope you all enjoy!

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Kakashi whistled a jaunty tune as he walked down the hall leading to where he knew his team was resting. He received a few odd looks from the medical staff, but he easily ignored it in favor of looking for his team.

He was surprised to hear from Iruka that his team had arrived at the tower in a few hours after the genin team from Sand. Of course he knew that they were capable enough, he had his utmost faith in them. But to hear from them so soon? It was simply astounding.

He walked some more until he arrived at the room they were staying. Kakashi grinned under his mask, knowing his students were going to hate him for it, before he slammed the door open, startling the occupants inside except for one. Amused onyx eyes stared back at him, and Kakashi wasn't surprised that the amused gaze belonged to Sasuke, but it did made him suspicious. How did a mere genin sense his presence even when he had hidden it so well?

"Kakashi-sensei! Don't do that!" Naruto groused, glaring at the jonin before stifling a yawn.

Sakura glared at him, not even bothering to respond, before settling herself comfortably on the couch where she was laying on earlier. Naruto did the same, but decided to nestle his head between his arms resting on the table. Only Sasuke seemed remotely energized and not at all tired.

"You shouldn't have done that," Sasuke drawled, crossing his arms over his chest as he settled on the window sill. "They're awfully grouchy when they're tired."

Naruto grumbled something incomprehensible, while Sakura lifted her head just enough to glare at Sasuke.

"Well excuse us of wanting to get some shut eye. I want to forget the things I saw while inside that stupid forest, especially those Sound-nin!" Sakura hissed, settling back down into the couch again.

Kakashi looked curious, but didn't say anything, resolved to investigate those Sound genins.

Naruto looked up again, his expression thoughtful. "You know, I think Kiba is right. Can we still sue her even after we signed the waiver?"

Sasuke shook his head, looking highly amused, his lips twitching into a smirk. "Don't be an idiot dobe. The law won't be able to touch her now and her involvement with the second exam. After signing the waiver, we are responsible of whatever may happen to us inside that forest."

The blond groaned miserably, slamming his head on the table. A few minutes later, the sound of snoring could be heard coming from his prone form. Kakashi chuckled at the blond's antics while Sasuke simply shook his head in exasperation. Sakura had long since fallen asleep on the couch.

A comfortable silence descended between the two remaining conscious people in the room. Sasuke decided to look out the window while Kakashi decided to observe his students discreetly.

"Did anything," Kakashi paused, choosing his next words carefully, "Did anything happen inside the forest?"

Sasuke leveled him with an unimpressed stare, his eyes unreadable even to high-ranking ninja such as himself, and Kakashi prided in being able to read a person so well. It only made him that more suspicious of the Uchiha scion ever since he gave them their Chunin exam permits. A mere Genin should not be able to hide his emotions nor his presence so well yet.

"We were ambushed by the Genin team from Sound." Sasuke murmured after a moment, his eyes showing dark amusement. Kakashi had a feeling that the boy knew what he was thinking and it only served to amuse him of all things. "Their leader introduced himself as Orochimaru of the Sannin."