Family

Kara

I found myself being pulled by a sixth sense rather than physically into the large store, the initial shock of seeing Mr Horton standing next to a slightly smaller man who appeared about the same age as William, but that was where the similarities ended, because in appearance they couldn't be more different.

But it wasn't the sight of these two men that had captured my attention and drew me into the store it was the scrolling headline across the bottom of all the display televisions that did that.

BREAKING NEWS: Kara Seven's parents plead for her to come back.

I wandered in a trance to the bank of televisions on display all showing the same story, a salesman approached and tried his sale pitch, showing me how everything worked, I asked if he could higher the volume which he did, I thanked him and told him I would come and see him when I had made up my mind.

"... Kara" I listened intently to the man next to William who was wiping away tears as he spoke.

"I hope you can hear me and I hope you are safe" there was a pause as he broke down and sobbed, causing tears to well up in my eyes.

"Please Rach... I mean Kara if you hear this message please go to the nearest police station, your mother, brother and I are here in New York with the Hortons, their investigators found us and they kindly flew us here so we can be reunited."

The camera then panned to their right where I saw the rest of the Horton family and another older women with a man about Trent's age.

"My mother and brother" I whispered quietly to myself as the tears started to flow.

"And my father" I sobbed even louder this time, causing customers nearby to turn and stare at me.

They have found me, after all this time, I still have a family and they have come for me.

The tears still flowed but I had a huge smile on my face.

I turned and grabbed the nearest customer a slim woman with a young child who was clasping her hand, she looked at me in horror at first and the gentleman next to her stepped forward to intervene.

"Please" I begged, wiping the tears from my cheeks. "Can you tell me where the nearest police station is?"

She looked at me with confusion written all over her face, then the picture on the screen changed to two pictures of me, one of me before I changed my appearance and a doctored one that looked like me now, they must have spoken to Roxanna and the other waitresses to get the photo-fit.

The woman looked back and forth between the televisions and me, suddenly she broke into a smile as she figured it out.

"Yes my dear it's about fifteen blocks from here"

"Oh" I sighed.

She looked once more at the screens to see the pictures of me had gone and was replaced with my family looking sad and wiping their eyes.

Suddenly she turned to the man stood next to her, who I assumed was her husband and in an excited voice stated.

"Eddy, fetch the car we have a family to reunite"

"On it" the man beamed and shot out the store.

By now most of the people around us had put two and two together and were pulling out their phones, snapping photos and videoing the scene, whilst the rest clapped, whistled and yelled out encouragement to me.

Go get your family

The news of who I was spread like wildfire though the store and more and more people filled the aisles, it made me feel like a celebrity as the customers parted to let me and my saviour through, still shouting and cheering me on, someone even opened the car door and patted me on the back when we reach the dark ford parked in the middle of the carpark, it seemed everybody had followed us out, still filming it all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trent

Well we had given it our best shot, I just hoped Kara, I mean Rachel had seen it.

This though sent my heart crashing into the pit of my stomach.

Had she seen it? Is she near a TV? Is she safe?

All this negativity was sending me spiralling down.

One of my investigators had followed up on a lead and was quite certain that the person working at the little back street restaurant was indeed Kara, when she didn't turn up for work and the owners wife was surprised as Kara had never ever been late before, it only enhanced his claim and this was proven to be a correct assumption when he pulled up her picture on his laptop and started altering Kara's appearance to match the owners description.

And when he showed the waitresses they agreed that was her, but the problem was Kara didn't turn up for work and this frightened the hell out of me, my fear only escalated when the owner expressed her concern also.

While I was having a mini breakdown, stalking around the room, angry at Kara for running and at my investigator for not getting her in person, hell I was even angry at the restaurant for not telling me, even if logic dictated that I was being stupid as hell, how were they suppose to know, this just highlighted how wound up I was.

A loud crash made all eyes in the room turn to the source of the noise and there in the doorway where once a closed door had been, stood...

Maddie, legs apart, hands on hips, the odd tear sliding down her cheeks, yet the biggest smile on her face I had ever seen.

All she needed was a cape and she would be the spitting image of a marvel superhero.

"Kara.." she gulped out in between tears and sobs.

"Found.." more tears.

As we in the room looked at each other puzzled as to what this conversation was about and where it was leading to.

Then removing her hands from her hips and violently gesturing them about in front of her, she screamed.

"They found her, Kara is found, they fucking found my friend" then she burst into tears.

At the same moment pandemonium broke out in the room as everyone rushed to Maddie and started asking her all at once, the profanity forgotten by all.

"Where?"

"When?"

"How is she?"

"Is she safe!"

"Is she okay?"

The questions fired one after another from different members of our families.

"TV" gasped Maddie and pointed to the one in the corner of the room.

Whereupon the whole group on mass swarmed to the television, scrambling to turn it on.

Eventually order was restored the television switched on and everyone seated as dad scrolled through looking for the news channel.

"It appears that the pleas of the Chadwick and Horton families have been answered, as Rachel or as she has been called Kara emerged from a chain store escorted by a young family into a waiting car, while the gathered crowd cheered and whistled, our sources at the scene say that Kara was being taken to the nearest police station so she can be reunited with her long lost family, we now hand you over to our News crew who are tailing the car to the precinct on...."

Before the newscaster had finished the room was empty and a fleet of cars were screeching out of the drive.