Back On The Run

Kara

As I made my way down the street, away from HIM, I fought back my tears, I felt betrayed, I felt the old fears of life on the streets, I felt hopeless.

But after splashing out on some fast food, I began to feel better, I needed to boister myself up, give myself a pep talk, I could do this, hell I had done it before, I would get another job one where they didn't ask to many questions, a waitress, yes I have experience working now and enjoyed it, I could change my name, my appearance get a waitressing job, save my money and get home to my family.

I'll show that Trent Horton that I can do this on my own.

Finishing up my meal I deposited the rubbish in the bin and set off to find employment.

And as luck would have it after trying nigh on thirty restaurants, I found a small family run fine cuisine restaurant, who were in need of an afternoon waitress to cover lunches and evening meals, money wasn't as good as what I had been getting with Trent, but it was better than nothing.

I could start the next day and the bonus was uniform was provided, I already had the essentials sensible shoes, a good coat, so hey I was set, all I had to do was find somewhere to sleep.

That to turned out to be fairly easy, a hypermarket, that meant lighting and security, plus the tree I found down the side of the building away from everyone's prying eyes, was large and hollow so I could curl up in the bough and hide my stuff in the trunk. The side of the building afforded me shelter from the rain and harsh winds.

Compared to my previous sleeping arrangements in trees this was the Ritz.

So my new life began, I turned up for work the following afternoon and Roxanna the lovely old lady and wife of the owner showed me the ropes, it wasn't difficult to pick up, but damn it was hard work I went back to my tree every night shattered.

Some nights I made good money with tips and everything, other nights not so good, these nights I would watch the televisions on display in the hypermarkets windows, I couldn't hear the sound but watching the pictures cheered me up, especially if it was a wet night.

As the days turned into weeks I soon fell into a routine, I found a small laundry to wash my clothes in, a charity shop that supplied my non work wear, a clothing stores washroom for my personal hygiene, breakfast in a small cafe situated off the main roads and dinner at work.

The old skills of blending in and slinking past groups of rowdy men un-noticed soon came back to me, I avoided confrontations and talking to people outside of work, where I could.

My savings were growing but not at the rate I would have liked, but life was good, well apart from me missing the Hortons and the security and comfort they provided, not Trent though, hell no, I didn't think of him at all, well not much, who am I trying to kid, I missed everything about him, why did he have to be such a douche.

Then one day my luck changed and it wasn't for the better either, my day started out as it normally did, up at six grab my bag and off to start my day, the cafe was first, here I ordered my breakfast usually something substantial, they did a mean all in fried breakfast that carried me though to my break at work and dinner, this saved me splashing out on lunch, so that money could be saved.

As my breakfast was being prepared, I made a brief visit to the toilet for a quick wash and brush up, just to make myself presentable and this was also where I could change out of my sleep clothes, it was a small room and only afforded single patrons at a time so I had to be quick, this meant when I returned to my table I could take my coat off, before the heat of the day built up.

When breakfast was finished, I would start the long trek to the big clothing store and if I timed it right the store would be open and filling up with shoppers, allowing me to slip in unnoticed and use their better facilities to wash.

Once this was accomplished I was ready to face the world, returning the way I had walked took longer due to the sideways being packed with workers all in a hurry to get to their destinations, but I wasn't in a hurry, like everything else in my life it was timed to perfection, I knew if I was on schedule or not, by knowing what time I should be at what location.

As I approached the restaurant a group of men and women in suits were gathered around the front door deliberating over the lunch menu stuck on the window, this being the normal clientele we got for lunchtimes.

As I slowed, knowing I would have to be polite and pass through the group to enter the restaurant, I started with the 'excuse me's' as I pushed through with a forced smile on my face, I hated this type of situation enclosed in human bodies.

Just as I was about to reach my destination, the door opened an a tall man strolled out, phone to his ear and I ha to stop suddenly to avoid a collision, lucky for me he didn't notice my tiny frame and continued his conversation, which was just as well as my blood ran cold when he mentioned my name.

"Yes sir, I'm sure it's Kara, though she's changed her name and her appearance apparently, I'm waiting at the restaurant now to get a good look at her when she arrives, that right sir shes working today, okay sir will do, bye"

He ended the call looked around quickly before going back into the restaurant, I meanwhile had ducked back into the crowd who were perusing the menu, so he couldn't see me, as these guys were much taller than me.

How the hell did they find me? What am I going to do now? Shit! I couldn't work here anymore.

This thoughts filled my mind as I wriggled out from the diners and headed away from my now ex place of employment.

I needed to think if they found me here, would they find my tree, oh god I was going to have to move and start again.

I wandered aimlessly around the city trying to formulate a plan, but nothing registered in my brain.

The sun was setting by the time I made my way back to the electrical hypermarket, it had been a close call hearing that guy on the phone to who I presumed was Trent, how had they tracked me to that restaurant after I had been so careful to hide my real identity and change my appearance, I don't know but it meant I was without a job now and my savings were not going to last forever.

It also meant that going back to England had gone from impossible to needing a miracle, I went over the same arguements in my head stay here in New York and chance being caught and not getting back home, or leaving the city and survive like I had before, with no chance of ever getting home, besides how long could I carry on living on the streets especially as I got older.

Shit! stuck between a rock and a hard place had never been truer than it was at that moment in my life.

As I scurried past the main parking area, where a few homeless people were gathering to settle for the night in their make shift homes, I still liked the security of sleeping in a tree and had found the ideal one, down the side of the building where no one ventured as the path was full of rubbish, but how long would that remain my secret.

Moving past the main doors and the display of televisions that had cheered me up on a few miserable nights, I glanced at the bank of screens all showing the same thing, this always fascinated me, but tonight it stopped me in my tracks.

Holy shit! I would recognise that face anywhere William Horton standing with another man, who I didn't recognise, but what had the hairs standing up on the back of my neck was the headline across the bottom.

No way, no frigging way was this happening!