Reunion

Kara

My mind was an utter mess, so many questions, feelings and confusion swirled around in my head, I was feeling quite dizzy.

The Beaumont family, Beverly, Edward and little Lucy who had unselfishly help me when I was at a loss, were talking excitedly about how lucky I was and what a lovely family I had and to be friends with the Hortons was amazing.

Most of the conversation required me just to smile and nod occasionally as they plowed on regardless of my limited interaction.

Finally we pulled up at a tall grey building, where a huge crowd of people had gathered on the steps outside of the two large doors, the group was being held back by uniformed officers.

"Wow" exclaimed Beverly. "News certainly travels fast"

At the raised hand of one of the officers the car slowed to a stop and Edward lowered the window to speak to the guy.

I was still coming to terms with the changes in my life and oblivious to what was going on around me.

Edward explained who he was and what he was doing here to the officer, who bent and looked in the open window at me, before giving a slight nod. Then he pulled back and directed Edward towards a door away from the crowd, while issuing instructions to his fellow colleagues.

The back door opened and I was offered an arm, which helped me to stand as I wasn't sure I could manage it on my own, then surrounded by large uniformed men I was literally marched up the steps and in through the door.

I sat in the small room on a metal framed chair, elbows resting on the metal table, my hands wrapped around the mug of steaming hot coffee that had been placed in front of me a few minutes ago.

The whole process had been proficient and professional, questions had been asked, my health enquired about, did I require anything, the toilet was through that door, a doctor was on his way and so on.

Eventually the whole fuss had died down and I was left on my own with my thoughts.

Mindlessly I twisted the mug around and around as I stared at it hoping it could help sort out my problems and offer me some sound advice on how to proceed from here.

On one hand my parents were alive and here and on the other I would have to see the Hortons, specifically Trent and for some reason that scared and excited me at the same time.

Suddenly there was a commotion outside the door, a lot of excited raised voices getting louder, before I could react the door flew open and in rushed all the people who an hour ago were on TV.

The room was so full of emotion as the unfamiliar members of my family rushed in, only to pull up short, unsure how to act, their eyes wet with unshed tears and bright red faces displaying unsure and nervous smiles.

As we stared at each other, it suddenly hit me this was my family, I knew it in my very soul, memories of a six year old girl, laughing and playing suddenly appeared in my head and these people, younger versions of them laughing with me.

That was all I needed to clarify to my brain that these were indeed my parents, I couldn't help it as I launched out of my chair, crying and laughing at the same time, I managed to squeal out.

"Mum, dad" before I hit them full on and wrapped my arms around them, as they steady themselves from my impact they grabbed me and pulled me further into the hug, afraid to let me go.

I was going home. I was going home with my family, the years of hell, struggle and surviving would fade away and become mere memories, but not all the memories would disappear especially the ones of the Horton family, mainly one member in particular.

For the next ten minutes or so tears flowed freely as hugs and kisses were passed around and little snippets of information discussed from before I left, there was sadness at the loss of my friend and her family and my Mexican family, joy at being reunited, anger and amazement at what I had endured, though I keep a lot of the worst details to myself.

Then happiness when the Hortons waltzed in and the whole hugging, crying and kissing entered round two.

Maddie was in fine form, threatening to fit me with a tracking device right up to chaining me to her wrist, when she mentioned killing Trent, I noticed he was absent from the room.

As I turned to enquire where he was, I caught movement out the corner of my eye and there he stood, leaning on the door frame a sad smile on his face and as our eyes connected, his smile grew, then he winked, turned and disappeared from view.

As I headed for the door, William grabbed my arm and stopped me.

He looked at me then the vacant doorway and back to me.

"I don't know what happened between you and Trent" it came out slightly choked as emotions were still running high.

"But he found your family"

"He did?" I questioned.

"Why was he stalking me, tracking my phone" I couldn't help but blurt it out, it still hurt.

"That was my doing as much as his, I'm afraid. You see we were looking for your family and well you and Trent, well I mean the feelings, you might not understand him and we were scared you would do something silly like run again, before we found your parents that's why we did what we did, on hindsight we probably should have just come out and told you, but we didn't want to get your hopes up" he sighed.

Well I sure didn't understand that speech and why would I run because of Trent's feelings?

However I had jumped to conclusions, when I heard Trent talking on the phone and I needed to see him, desperately, only to apologize you understand.

Unfortunately William delaying my escape allowed the people in the room to regroup and surround me, so my apology to Trent would have to wait, as I was sucked back into the celebrations.

I wished Trent had not left, I missed him, I don't understand why and I didn't understand why I feel like I do about him, I had found my family, I was going home back to England, I should be happy, no estatic, so why did I feel a gut wrenching sadness, I suppose it was because I would miss the Hortons, William, Bernadette and Maddie, that thought made me sad.

But when I pictured Trent and realized I wouldn't see him again, my sadness turned to utter depression, why is that?

I would love to see him, in fact I would love to stay with him, I missed him already, then I froze my heart stopped beating and my eyes widened.

Holy mother of god, I was in love with Trent, the feelings I held for him were similar to those I had for my family and the Hortons, I loved them. But with Trent they were more fierce, stronger and pummelled my heart.

I was in love with Trent Horton, but I was nowhere near good enough for him, not by a mile.