Bliss

Rachel

The following few weeks were some of the happiest of my life, I got to know my natural parents, though at first I tolerated their over the top need to protect me, but soon it became a source of anger and rows that were driving us apart, I couldn't leave the house to go in the garden without being quizzed as to where I was going and that one of them or both would accompany me.

In the end I sat them down and we had a good old heart to heart talk and we came to an understanding, after that it was much better, I didn't feel suffercated.

At first I thought Grant was a bit aloof, a serious, grumpy older brother, he didn't go to the excesses that my parents had over my protection, but suttle statements he made suggested that he or one of his team were going to be watching over me, I soon put an end to that, one thing I was still good at was avoiding people if I wanted to and I proved it to him by betting I could lose him for four hours and if I did, then no protection.

Needless to say I was not going to have any bodyguards breathing down my neck, after that I found out that Grant had a wicked sense of humour and would tease me rotten given half a chance.

He was also competitive and we had many a battle, swimming, tennis, running, you name it we would compete over it.

Considering I didn't know how to play tennis and hadn't swam much, he would wipe the floor with me, but one of my major advantages in life was that I was a fast learner and a few sneaked tennis lessons with Mrs Horton and I could give him a good game much to his surprise.

Then just as I was getting close to beating him at something he had to leave, work needed him and it was an emotional and tearful farewell, well at least from me it was, even though in another week or so I would be reunited as I returned home to England.
Those thoughts both made me happy and sad at the same time.

The other down side was Trent had to go back to New York to his main office almost immediately on our return, as he had been neglecting work since my arrival and though he worked from the Hortons mansion, he still needed to sort out some issues personally, this meant he would be gone for at least a month.

I didn't like the way I missed him, the ache in my chest, the heaviness in my stomach and the constant memories that surfaced all through the day, luckily my parents helped to stop me from becoming miserable, even Maddie was missing away on a trip somewhere related to her humanitarian studies.

Yes! Maddie and humanitarian in the same sentence, can't figure that one out.

All to soon the time was upon us, our stay was coming to an end and I was preparing to leave my American family and Trent had yet to return from New York, oh how I missed him, this led to many a tearful night alone in my room reminiscing on the happy hours we spent together and the fact I may not get to say goodbye, causing me to have a tumultuous upsurge of emotions, on one hand happy to be going home, but an even stronger urge to stay and see Trent, but even if I saw him would I be content to leave, so much for my mind and heart to deal with.

My last day in America and with the Hortons, Maddie was home but Trent still hadn't returned, sure he had called and we spoke most evenings and he assured me he would be there to see me off, the Hortons even promised to visit and for me to come back and visit them as often as I liked, but the ache in my body was all about Trent.

Both families piled into two large limos and headed to the private airfield.

Yes William had insisted we use one of his private jets and wouldn't back down dispite all the arguments my parents threw at him.

Tearful farewell hugs, handshakes and words were exchanged on the tarmac below the sleek Lear jet, I couldn't stop the continuous flow of tears, made worse my Maddie's tears and her refusal to let go of me.

Eventually I managed to break free and started to cross the distance to the stairs leading up into the belly of the aircraft, just as I placed my foot on the first step, there was a loud roaring noise, and a hurricane force wind whipped my loose hair across my face.

Turning to see what all the commotion was about, I spied a large helicopter landing not a hundred metres from where I was standing, the noise and wind died down as a door flew open and out climbed Trent.

My heart soared and more tears blurred my vision, was I hallucinating, Trent. Here. Now.

I didn't realize I had run to him, until he picked me up and spun me around, causing me to squeal out loud.

"You made it" I cried.

"You have come to see me off" and before I could gain my senses, I kissed him hard on his lips.

As soon as my brain caught up I was horrified at my actions and tried to pull away, but Trent was having none of it, as he held me firm and deepen the kiss, I clung to him as my legs gave way and my body melted into his.

Eventually the need for oxygen forced us to part and we stood forehead to forehead gulping in all the air we could.

"I'm glad you managed to get here to say goodbye" I managed to gasp out.

"Stay" he urged.

"What?" I stepped back to look him in the eyes.

"Stay here please, at least stay a little longer I need you, I mean I would like you to stay, there are things I want to show you, please"

"I can't, I want to, but my parents, they need me to go with them, your parents don't want me around surely after all this time"

"Hey!" William all but shouted out. "Don't you try and blame us young lady, you know we would love you to stay and if you did, Trent could fly back with you in a couple of months time"

He looked over his shoulder as my parent approached, and spoke to them.

"I'm sure you wouldn't mind if Rachel stayed on for a few more months, then Trent could fly her back... Infact, I have a better idea let her stay for three months then I will arrange for you all to fly back out for a short holiday and then Rachel can go home with you then"

Was that a wink he aimed in my parents direction?

And why was Trent in a serious conversation with my father.

After some long discussions, it was decided I would stay for another three months, seems the Hortons always got there way, still I wasn't one to complain, I didn't remember home, so I wasn't really missing it, but I knew I would miss the Hortons and once I left I would have all the time in the world to catch up with my parents, or so they informed me as I couldn't choose what to do.

So another round of farewells this time with a different lineup, I bid a temporary goodbye to my recently reunited real family and watched as they boarded the aircraft waving as they went.

I cried non stop as the door shut and the plane took off, all the time encased in Trent's arms as he comforted me.