20

Brielle

"Open up!" I shout as I knock on the door frustrated that no one is answering right now. I know he's home right now and I really need to talk to him.

Tapping my foot impatiently I think I should probably just head home now. Why should I bug him? Just as I was about to leave I see a light go on in the living room.

Next thing I know I see the door being opened and hearing his finials deep voice. "Oh no, not a crying girl. I haven't nailed this done yet."

-

-

There I sat on the Curtis living room couch, with a almost finished slice of cake in my hands. Darry sat across from me, also eating some cake, as we talked about my problems.

"So why did you decide to come here?" He asks while taking a sip from his hot chocolate. We briefly went over what's been going on, but we haven't gotten that in depth yet.

Finishing my bite of the cake, I speak up, "I don't know. You seem wise enough, and I trust you. Besides I know you like Dallas, but aren't bias for him." He just nods his head and I go back to my plate. Silence fills the air as we finish up the last few bites. Taking a deep breath I look up at Darry. "This is so stupid, I'm so stupid. Guys are freaking pigs and I was just to dumb to realize."

He slowly blinks at me while saying, "You need to find a friend that's a girl, because the whole men are pigs thing don't work on me." We both give each other a small smile after that. Silence fills the air once more, until I feel a tear slip. "He's an idiot I'll say that, but he's an in love idiot. Sure he will mess up, but all of us do. You might jot believe it, but he cares. Bri you just haven't seen all the behind the scenes."

When he says that I remember that one night a few months ago. I'll never forget it at all.

"Dallas are you okay?" I ask him. He was sitting under one of the trees in my front yard, his head leaning against it, eyes closed.

He was so peaceful looking, and calm. So vulnerable and carefree to the world. I noticed a pack of unopened cigarettes in his hand, and an unopened bottle of whiskey.

When I spoke up his eyes popped open and looked up at me. For a minute or so we just started, but I kneeled down to be on his level.

"I didn't know what to do. I had these things in my hand but couldn't let myself to do that. So I started to imagine me kissing you and how you would have hated the taste of these toxic things. Dragging myself over here I just ended up to take a small nap." Coming over to him, I also lean my head up against the tree. He takes the carton of cancer sticks and chucks them into the street.

"Why'd you do that?" Turing to look at me, I get a sly smile at me. "No more smoking, and less drinking." Of course I get a small laugh to escape from me, because of course he could never fully give up his liquor.

Resting my head against his shoulder we just stay there for a while enjoying each others silent company. I never wanted to leave where we are right now.

But good things always have to come to an end. Right?

"I guess he's not too bad, but we've already messed things up so much."

He leans in a little bit closer to me, "We have all messed things up a little too much, but hey humans are still alive."

Right then we hear a bunch of voices and soon enough the whole gang was in the Curtis living room. Well, expect Dallas of course. Once they all meet my tear stained face. That's when Two-but decided to speak up. "Come on, let's hug it out."

-

-

There they all laid out around the house all tired out. Darry went off to his room, Steve and Soda in front of the tv. Pony's legs were across my lap and Two-bit was all curled up in the chair. Lastly was Johnny was had his back against the front of the couch and his legs out in front of him.

It was all peaceful and I smiled to myself. I could get used to this. Just as I was about to doze off I hear a faint ring in the background.

Brushing off Pony's legs I walk over to the kitchen and answer the landline. "Hello Curtis household."

"Bri? Is that you, oh my I miss you so much! I'm sorry, so sorry, please forgive me."

I can hear him start to well up with tears and it makes me get all chocked up too. "Dallas what's wrong? Why are you calling?" I start to grow frantic, worrying about his state right now.

"I messed up sweetie. It's all my fault, please forgive me. There's so much going on and it's too much to handle right now. I'm so sorry."

As I respond back I start to reloads the change in my voice. "Dallas answer me what's going on?" I hear a voice and a groan in the living room, which I'm guessing that they are waking up. "Dallas Winston talk to me."

"I've done messed up. Now I'm on the run. Hiding out by the river is my best shot. I love you Brielle."

With those parting words he hangs up and I slam the phone back in it's holder. Running into the room I wake up all the boys telling them we she to go.

"Dallas is in trouble, let's go!"

-

-