22

Dallas

Death was always a looming figure in my life. Always on the run from the Feds, to struggle to pay bills, to feeling I'm not worth it to make it another day.

I've lived an unhealthy life from the start of time. Never having much love to learn from, I created my own cruel ways. Treating girls like they were just there for my disposal, to smoking clouds where no one could breath through, to almost killing men from my punches.

Sure I've gotten my karma delivered back to me, but God gave me one true gift.

When I met Brielle, things changed. Smoking didn't become a regular habit, drinking slowed down, but I never completely stopped. I started to try and get my act together.

Neither one of us was perfect. She had money and brains to mix in with her gorgeous beauty. Except she had problems too. I don't know if she ever realized them, but I did. I love her, and I made it my goal to observe her to try and understand her more.

Brielle was a girl trying to find her place in life. I could tell she put a lot of herself in boys, even though she'd never admit it. First that Russel guy, then me, and even that Royce guy. Bri also was confused. Not knowing where she stood, or where to go.

She was just like me, or any of these Greasers roaming the streets.

But with her help, she opened up my eyes. There was no need to fight with greasers, because they were just as trashed as I was. Shunning a light that I was worth something, I just had to get off my ass and do something.

Once in a while I wondered what it would have been if I never met her in that bar. Where would I be?

Probably drunk and mindlessly living.

Bless the lord above for that late night meeting. So as I laid almost dead in this ambulance, I pray to God.

I'm sorry God, I've messed up big time. Maybe I don't deserve to live anymore. Maybe I should die and let Bri free from me, but you have to make a promise. If I die, you take care of her well.

Give her a loving husband, charming children, and a career she loves. I know she doesn't need much, but we both know that the whole world should be in her hands.

I'm a selfish guy, and I'll try to not be with her, because I love her.

That's why I'll sacrifice my life for her happiness. If you think that's what needs to happen, so let it be.

The ball is in your court God.

Amen.