CHAPTER ONE

THE VANISHING OF WILL BYERS

***

"I'm just..Madi, the girl who actually goes to the library."

***

MADISON ANDREWS was walking into Hawkins High School, her books close to her chest and a pencil tucked behind her ear, she had been working on her geometry homework on the way to school.

She caught the sight of her best friends, Nancy Wheeler and Barbara Holland, and put a little pep in her step, her strawberry hair flying behind her.

Steve Harrington was standing next to Tommy and Carol, and was supposed to be listening to Tommy, who was yelling a story about how he almost kicked a guy's ass yesterday. Instead, Steve had his eyes on a certain redhead, who was walking passed him. There she was, the girl that made Steve's heart speed up a mile a minute. He had a small smile on his face, and was totally oblivious to Tommy punching him in the shoulder.

"Hey! What was that for?" Steve asked, gripping his arm in pain.

"So, did he call?" Barb asked Nancy Wheeler. Nancy had been talking to Steve recently and was expecting a call the night before.

"Keep your voice down!" Nancy scolded the girl.

"Well did he?" Madi asked, looking at her friend.

Nancy sighed, "I told you guys, it's not like that. Okay, I mean, yes he likes me, but not like that."

"We just...made out a couple of times." Nancy said once the trio arrived at her locker. Madi sighed and tried to tune out the conversation. Don't get her wrong, she was happy for Nance but...

"We just made out a couple of times." Barb mocked Nancy.

"Nance seriously, you're gonna be so cool now, it's ridiculous." Barb added.

"No I'm not." Nancy defended.

"You better still hang out with us, that's all we're saying." Madi said. "If you become friends with Tommy H. or Carol-"

"Oh that's gross!" Nancy interrupted. Madi and Barb gave her a 'really?' look.

"Okay I'm telling you guys, it was a one time..two time thing." Nancy said.

Madi spotted a folded piece of notebook paper fall out of Nancy's locker. She picked it up and read the writing that was scrawled in black sharpie,