CHAPTER TWO

THE WEIRDO ON MAPLE STREET

***

"You, Madison Andrews, are absolutely magnificent."

***

"WHEN ALPHA PARTICLES go through gold foil, they become..."

"Unoccupied space."

Madi, Barb, and Nancy were walking down the school hallway. Madi was helping Nancy study for her chemistry test she had today.

"A molecule that can—" Madi started before the homemade flash cards were snatched from her hands. Of course Madi, being the shy girl she was, didn't say anything, but Barb was irritated, "Hey!"

"I don't know, I think you've studied enough Nance." Steve said, Madi looked and was instantly hit with anxiety. There stood Steve, along with Tommy H. and Carol, who for some reason weren't a big fan of the redhead.

"Steve!" Nancy complained.

"I'm telling you, you've got this. Plus you have the smartest girl in school as your best friend." Steve said, glancing at Madi, who was looking down at her feet.

"Now on to more important matters. My dad has left town on a conference, and my mom's gone with him, cause' you know, she doesn't trust him." Steve said.

"Good call." Tommy said. Steve looked at him and laughed lightly, "So are you in?"

"In for what?" Nancy asked.

"No parents? Big house?" Carol hinted.

"A party?" Nancy asked, clueless.

"Ding. Ding. Ding!" Carol said, making Tommy laugh.

"It's Tuesday." Nancy pointed out.

"It's Tuesday. Oh my god." Tommy mocked her.

"C'mon." Steve tried to convince her, "It'll be low key. It'll be just us, what do you say? Are you in or are you out?"

"Um.." Nancy started.

"Oh god. Look." Carol said. The group looked over to see Jonathan Byers, putting up missing posters, for Will. Madi felt her heart ache at the sight.

"Oh god. That's depressing." Steve mumbled.

"Should we say something?" Nancy asked.