CHAPTER SIX

THE MONSTER

THE MONSTER

***

"You're an asshole, Steve Harrington."

***

MADISON WAS walking around town, a bag of groceries in her hand. She was humming along to a song she had heard earlier that day. She had had a good day so far. Of course it was hard to have a good day now.

Madi looked over to see Jonathan and Nancy. She thought about avoiding them before she heard Nancy's voice, "Mads?"

Madi turned to her, "What?"

"You might want to see this.." Jonathan yelled from the other side of the street. Madi shrugged and walked up to the two, "What's up?"

They both just looked up sadly. Madi followed their gaze and gasped at what she saw.

On the movie theater sign, in big red spray painted letters was,

"All the Right Moves starring Madison the slut Andrews."

Madi felt tears coming on, but she just wiped her eyes and started to walk away.

"Madi wait!" Nancy called after her.

"No, Nancy. Just...let me go." Madi said, walking home.

*

For the first time, Madi was grateful her father wasn't home, she didn't want him to see her like this. She closed the front door behind her, put her hand over her mouth, trying to hold back her cries.

But, she couldn't. She croaked out a sob and took a deep breath. She didn't understand. Who did this? Her mind drifted to Steve, although she wished it hadn't. Steve was a known douche around Hawkins, and Madi knew it. She knew better than to trust him.

"What were you thinking?" Madi asked herself, shaking her head. She moved to her kitchen, throwing the groceries where they needed to go, trying to get her mind off of what she just saw. She tried to convince herself it wasn't a big deal, but it was to her.

When she went back to school, people will be talking about it, they'll joke, and whisper behind her back. She just wanted it all to end and it hadn't even started yet.

And to think, she was starting to like him.

A couple hours later there was a knock on the door. Madi jumped up and composed herself, and opened the door. There stood the one and only, Steve Harrington.