CHAPTER TWO

TRICK OR TREAT, FREAK

***

" I'm guessing you don't want any Halloween candy "

***

HAPPY HALLOWEEN is a phrase you couldn't catch Madison Andrews ever saying, even if she was dead.

It was October 31st, the day Madi dreads for the whole year. Why? Well  reasons you'll find out soon enough.

It was early morning, before school, and Madi had to drop something off for her father. Richie had told her to just drop it off with Hopper at the station, so here she was, walking inside the police station that smelled like ink and bad air freshener.

She walked up to Jim Hopper's office  and slapped the case file on his desk. She turned on her heels to walk back it before she was stopped by Hop.

"Hey, birthday girl, leaving so soon?" Jim asked. There it was, the reminder. Yes, Madison Andrews was born on Halloween but you know what else happened on Halloween? Madi killed her mother. At least, that's what Madi would say if you asked her.

She whipped around, a sad look on her face, "I have to get to school.." she said.

Chief Jim Hopper was known as a stone hearted man. But there, he stood up and embraced Madi in a hug.

Every other day, Madison was a sweet, happy shy girl. But on October 31st, She was a gloomy, mad teenager, that was even quieter than other days.

"Hey, it's okay Madison. Just, try to make this year a good one. For me?" Hopper pleaded, he hated to see the girl sad. Madi was like family for Christ's sake.

Madi just nodded, "Um, bye Hopper."

"Bye Madi."

*

Madison walked into school and made a bee line for her locker. As much as she cared about her boyfriend Steve, well, he didn't know why she hated her birthday, or Halloween in general. Why? I don't know, Madi just didn't think "hey today's the anniversary of the day I killed my mom" was a good conversation topic.

She just assumed Steve thought her mom left, or was somewhere else.

Madi made it to her locker and took a deep breath, opening it up.

"Hey..Mads.." She heard Jonathan call softly from behind her.

She turned around and smiled slightly, "Hi, Jonathan.."