CHAPTER FIVE

THE FLEA AND THE ACROBAT

***

"I think it's cute that you see me as an inspiration for art."

***

TODAY WAS the day of Will Byers' funeral, and Madi was dreading it. She was still in denial. She believed that, somehow, he, along with Barb, were still alive.

She stood in the mirror, looking at the depressing black dress she had to wear. Her hair was in a tight braid to the side, a single hair escaping.

She sighed and stepped down the stairs and saw her father, who was adjusting his tie in the small mirror above the couch.

The house was abnormally quiet that day. Usually there was music coming from Richard's record player, or Madi laughing on the phone. But today the Andrews were both silent.

The Andrews have always been close to the Byers family. Richard was friends with Joyce and Jim Hopper in high school, and now worked in the same force as Hopper. Jim being a cop, Richie a lawyer.

Through this, Madi and Jonathan were around each other a lot. They usually watched Will while their parents were busy. They became close friends.

Now, Madi was scared to face Jonathan today. She knew she hadn't been there for him, and it broke her heart that he probably hated her now.

"Ready to go pumpkin?" Richard asked, pushing his glasses up. Pumpkin was Madi's childhood nickname from her dad. This was because when she was younger her hair was bright orange, it has got darker as she aged, but it was still there.

Madi nodded, "Yeah I guess." She follows her father to the car, and shut the door as the two drove away.

*

Next thing she knew, Madi and her father were tossing a white rose onto Will's grave.

Richard walked over Joyce and Lonnie? Madi was confused, she hadn't seen him in ages.

Richard and Lonnie shook hands and he one of those pity sad conversations while Madi looked off into space.

"If there's anything we can do, just give us a call.." Richard said.

"Of course." Lonnie replied.

Madi looked over and saw Joyce, and walked up to her, "Hey, Joyce..." She said softly. Joyce Byers looked over at the girl and sighed, "Oh, hello Madison, thank you so much for coming." She hugged her.