reality (1)

request sneak-peak: "...maybe you could do one where the reader is in love w/ peter and vice versa but obviously peter is so nervous and idk surprises her??? angsty and fluffy?"

Warning: mature language and content
third person
[A/N: lol you guys are not gonna like the surprise oops]
word count: 7,057
1:31 pm | she's head over heels for him in that suit — but what about without it?

She was perfect.

She was everything that you were not.

She was a cheerleader, she wore the cutest jeans, she had the sweetest smile. Her personality bubbled, and the atmosphere in the room always felt so much lighter when she was in it. She was beautiful and she was talented and she was perfect. And she wasn't you.

You were simple. You wore a plaid skirt and blouse, you adorned glasses and a perfect updo. You always had a pencil stuck in your hair, and you went small when anyone raised their voice at you. You were on the decathlon team, you were the secretary of the Spanish club, you avoided every opportunity to speak publicly. You were shy and you were simple, but that was okay. That was okay until you met Peter Parker.

"Ned, I-I don't know about this," you squeaked, pushing your glasses back up your nose. Your eyelashes hit the frames annoyingly, and you scrunched your nose at the feeling. You did that a lot.

"C'mon, (y/n), it's your first day. It's gonna be okay. You can meet my friends, everything will be fine," Ned assured you. You had known Ned for a long while, you were close family friends. Ned was convinced you were smart enough to start attending Midtown, and he told you that you would be so happy there. So there you were, a Monday morning at the start of the second semester, terrified about your first day at Midtown.

"Everyone here is so intelligent," you breathed, smoothing down the front of your shirt. Ned gave you a smile.

"You're smart, too. You'll fit right in. Everyone will love you," he pleaded. You let out a deep breath.

"Okay."

Ned showed you to your locker, and you quickly dumped all your belongings inside. Your insides were turning this way and that, your mind was swirling in your nervousness. You couldn't think properly, you hated this feeling. You wanted the ground to open up, to swallow you. You wanted to disappear. You weren't ready.

"Ned! Hey, did you finish the Spanish assignment? I could not, for the life of me, figure out number four," a voice said hurriedly. You shut your locker, coming face-to-face with another person. He was a little taller than you, dressed in a simple white shirt and jeans. His curls fell in front of his eyes, and they widened when they noticed you. "O-Oh, hey."

You adjusted your glasses. "Hello."

"Peter, this is (y/n)," Ned introduced. "(y/n), this is Peter Parker. He's like, my bestie."

"Are you the one that helps him with his legos?" You asked, grinning. Peter laughed.

"Y-Yeah, I like a challenge," he replied. Ned shoved him a little. "Sorry, we like a challenge."

"It's nice to meet you, Peter," you said shyly. He smiled at you, and you wanted to reach over and brush his curls away from his eyes to stare into them better. He was capturing you already, and you were not even his. Ned looked between the two of you suspiciously, but the bell rang. You bit down on your lip as you looked down at your schedule. "Uh, I have calculus first."