tuesday | AU (3)

category: series
subcategory: alternate universe — soulmate
ex. a universe where every individual is meant for another; it is up to the universe whether they are found

previously: how long can heroes keep secrets?
continuing: you can't help but feel so connected to spider-man. but doesn't he have better things to do than help you?

third person
warnings: language, fluff
word count: 1,535
6:57 pm | it's not everything you thought it would be

How could you not have known?

How could you not have realized that you had met your soulmate?

How could you have walked past him in the street, or glanced at him on the subway, or slipped that dollar tip to him at the store counter and not known that he was the one?

Wasn't there supposed to be some unavoidable sign that you had found him? Wasn't there supposed to be a parade of wonderful feelings, an awakening of light in your body? Weren't you supposed to be so cold inside, and then suddenly as if you were on fire?

You knew something happened. You knew you had found him. That emptiness, that drowning, that blackness that used to settle in the center of your heart was gone. Something was different, you could feel it. There was in airiness in your fingers that you knew came from him. Whoever he was, you were going to find him. For God's sakes, you had a superhero behind you to help.

As you let Spider-Man pull you up to the fire escape outside your room, you couldn't help but a feel a tinge of disappointment in you. You didn't want to have the kind of soulmate reveal like the rest. You were glad you didn't have a timer, you didn't want to find the path to him, you didn't want to feel every time he got in a fight, you didn't want to find a matching brand, and you were certainly grateful that you could see in color your whole life.

Nevertheless, you thought any of those were better than not knowing for sure. The only evidence you had that you had met your soulmate was that the pain in your heart was gone. It was just as inviting as all the books said, but now you were left trying to feed the aching in your heart. It begged for your soulmate now that it knew him, it clawed at your insides for just a kiss from whoever he was. You knew the only way to settle the chaos in your mind was to look for him; you swore to yourself that you wouldn't lose him again.

You heard stories about people like you. Who knew of their soulmate, knew they were nearby, but couldn't quite put their finger on the individual. You heard how some of them went bat-shit-crazytrying to respond to the urge in their hearts, you heard of the relief they felt when they finally found them. You heard how when they finally found them, the tension leading up to the first embrace was like the sickest addiction to a drug. Drunk on each other, addicted to one another, heavily in love—that was what it meant to have a soulmate, and you were craving for just a taste.

You slipped into the warmth of your room, shivering a little as you shut the window behind Spider-Man. He fell onto the duvet of your bed, smiling a little when he smelled how fresh your linens were. They were slept in and looked incredibly comfortable, but they were still fresh. You grimaced a little at the sight; who knows where his suit has been?

You shrugged it off, pulling your scarf from your neck and hanging your coat on the back of your bedroom door. Spider-Man watched from your bed as you slipped your shoes off, the blocky heeled boots thrown to the back of your closet. As you rubbed the soles of your feet, he laid back further on your bed, grabbing a stuffed bear and hugging it as he put his eyes on you again.